PDA

View Full Version : Tetra ColorBits

Billy
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 02:24 PM
hi all,
I got a question regarding on feeding colorbits to White Swan discus !!

Will colorbit make White Swan into pink or red colour ??

I got 2 white swan juvi last wednesday until now i think its colour is abit pinky now, it was pure white when i got them.

I hav been feeding B/h mix( with colorbit), colorbit, flakes, and frozen blood worm to them!!

So should i stop feeding it with colorbit ??

Thx

Trebs
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 10:24 PM
I'd switch to Tetrabit. It's basically the same stuff, same company, same packaging. Just doesn't have the red colour enhancer.

africandiscus
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 10:41 PM
I would call Kev at SLS and ask him.

tanks319
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 12:28 AM
Hi

I just rang my importer.He said you should not feed any colour bits to white or yellow discus.They will loose the intense colour.

I hope this helps

jim
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 01:35 AM
The damX colourbits turn my white Swan into pink swan...and turn my golden sunrise into dark orange sunrise.......

tanks319
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 02:01 AM
Hi

You should really only feed beef heart,worms,brine shimp with a treat of flakes.That is to get the best colours from them.

I currently have yellows in my holding tank and i only feed them worms,bh and brine shrimp they are growing very fast and starting to show great colours.

Billy
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 05:06 AM
ok so i need to stop feeding colorbits to the white swans.

Ok now i got another problem i need to separate them so that i can feed them with different food !! :(

thx for the advices.

africandiscus
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 05:11 AM
Get the white plastic egg crate

sunshinediscus
Wed Nov 17, 2004, 09:37 PM
No way in the world will tetra bits cause your snow white to turn pink, they already have a slight pink hue wheather they are fed it or not. What will change however is the amount of orangeish color. Check out this link at simply discus for a great example, i have seen xen's white in person and i know he does not feed any tetra bits and his white still has as much pink as a tetra fed one posted by Dan.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40132

Billy
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 02:56 AM
I could only find Tetra Colorbits, but not Tetrabit, are they the same thing ??

http://www.tetra-fish.com/catalog/category.aspx?id=11

jim
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 03:28 AM
don't think they product Tetrabit any more...have not see that in Syd for long time....

jim
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 03:33 AM
But has anyone useing other brands?? like JBL , SERA and breeder premium??

I had JBL B4 but it's way too expensive..so I stop using it..now I using colourbits, sera and breeder premium

luvmydiscus
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 03:37 AM
Hope you don't mind if I jump in to ask a question. I have read in many articles that feeding any type of young fish especially color food can harm their liver. Has anyone heard of this?

For more of a natural coloration I also was told to use O.S.I Flaked Brine Shrimp Flakes. Anyone heard of this?

I have fed the O.S.I foods and find them very good but very pricey.

:D

jim
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 04:11 AM
As for my understanding..natural colour enhence food won't harm fish...only those non-natural food will harm fish....

but...but...I never hear of O.S.I Flaked..do we have that in AUS??? But my discus don't eat flakes ar all and my other small fish does eat discus dry food.. so I never feed flakes to my fish since I own discus

weird
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 04:41 AM
I think they sell O.S.I products at HI TEK Aquarium in Pymble. Not the most in-expensive store.

My adults surprisely will eat flakes.

Dave76
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 04:54 AM
I've seen the OSI stuff at a few stores in Perth.

Mine eat Sera Flora flakes fine now - I mix it with frozen food in a worm feeder and they munch on both quite happily.

Dave

Aurora
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 07:46 AM
Do Colourbits do anything for other fish with red colours (eg. Cardinals), and does it do anything to fish that arent meant to be red (eg. Black Widows)?

Trebs
Sun Nov 21, 2004, 07:30 AM
I can get the Tetrabit at my LFS in Seven Hills. Most other places don't stock it as the colourbit is more popular. Hopefully someone near you will stock it.

I'd expect it would have some effect on any fish that could display reddish colours (there are similar products available for tetras, africans etc). Just like if you ate enough carrots your skin would go a kind of orange colour. I'm pretty sure it's the same basic ingredient.

kalebjarrod
Sun Nov 21, 2004, 08:31 AM
yes you are right on the
Just like if you ate enough carrots your skin would go a kind of orange colour. I'm pretty sure it's the same basic ingredient. the ingredient's are called carotenoids in this case, the one that most of the fish food companys would be trying to indroduce is astaxanthin, this product (for lack of a better word) is most axcessable through carotenoids which have been comsumed or processed by some bacteria, fungi, alge and other higer plants ........................ i am not smart i can just read "Exotic Discus Of The World"

Chafule
Sun Nov 21, 2004, 09:48 AM
i fed my africans colour enhanchers and it had a sex changed
turn from my only female to another 3rd male
will this happen with tetra colour bits to discus?

Trebs
Sun Nov 21, 2004, 11:11 AM
What was the colour enhancer in question?
I have heard some africans are subject to sex morphism naturally. I have no experience with this personally as I have not kept them. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have this effect on tetras or discus.

sunshinediscus
Sun Nov 21, 2004, 09:14 PM
I think the food Chafule is referring too is super R and super G by White Crane. They make female afros look like males. Tetra color bits will not make the females look like males.

Rod

Chafule
Mon Nov 22, 2004, 09:05 AM
alrite then thanx

i think im not scared anymore of using colour enhancers ty