PDA

View Full Version : Power off alarm

topline
Tue Nov 20, 2007, 06:52 AM
Hi All

Thought I would ask the question here as quite a few members seem to be very knowledgable with regards electronics...

I run my tank filters from a UPS. Smetimes, for no apparant reason, the UPS switches off. As the UPS and batteries are in my garage, I only notice it if I see that the 'on' light is off or if I notice no water movement in the tank.

What I'm looking for is something I can plug into a power outlet that will beeb/buzz when there is no power.

Does something like this exist commercially of is it an easy (note EASY) thing to build?

Thanks for the help
Brian
Perth WA

Robdog
Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:39 AM
Can't help you with a solution mate sorry, but can I ask why you are running it like this??? Just curious

topline
Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:36 AM
Hi Robdog

Running my filters from a UPS to avoid any problems with power faliures. Either during the day when at work, or at night when fast asleep.

We have had a few of more than 2 hours and dont like the idea of stagnant water in the filter (canister) getting pumped back into the tank when the power comes back on.

It's an 8x2x2.5 with nice geo's and large clown loaches (amongst others). Would hate to lose any due to a preventable problem.

Thanks for the interest.

Brian

Bad Inferno
Mon Dec 17, 2007, 09:45 AM
Sounds like the UPS has made it more unreliable ?

Power fail buzzer
Get a 9VDC battery and 9VDC buzzer....Find an old DC power adapter ie 6 VDC or 12 VDC and plug it into the UPS. Use the low powered DC to energize a relay...The contacts of the relay are then used to switch on the 9VDC buzzer. ie connect the relay contacts to the battery and buzzer. The coil of the realy needs to be rated at the voltage of the DC adapter you can find.