PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Electronic Solenoid Valve

Billy
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 12:31 PM
Where can i buy some electric solenoid value (or should i call it something else)??

what i want is like a electric ball valve, if power on then let water flows, otherwise shut the valve, no water will flow through!!

Do you understand what i mean ??

I need this valve because in case of power blackout, the overflow from my tanks will draw about 15% max from each of my tanks and my sump cannot take this amount of water so it will spill all over the floor !!

parasite
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 05:55 AM
bunnings and irrigation shops have those solonoids that ur looking for.

Bad Inferno
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 10:08 AM
Irrigation solenoids (well at least the cheap ones I have seen) only work with high pressure...I have not found any irrigation solenoids that will work on such a low pressure such as a gravity fed line from a tank. Make sure you ask before you buy as the irrigation solenoid relies on the water pressure to open the valve.

If you find one please tell me as I am looking for two low voltage solenoids for my drain / fill lines. You can get 240VAC solenoids cheap $25.00 (4l/min valve seat) however I am not willing to take the risk with 240VAC types.

kalebjarrod
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 10:49 AM
bad inferno is almost right

i have found one variety of solienoid valve from bunnings that is waht you would actully call an electronic ball valve. i think it was a nylex brand about $30.00 each. it usees power to open a ball valve and then uses power to close the ball valve, very simple battery powered soleinoid, might not have enough timing settings on it to make it work properly?

i hate to recommend bunnings for irrigation parts, they are WAY to expensive, but they have it

Bad Inferno
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 10:59 AM
Interesting that a battery has enough current to close the valve. If you can get to the solenoid coil you could control the device yourself and forget the onboard timer and batteries. Luv the idea of low power. I'll check it out

Billy
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 01:05 PM
All i want is a valve that is run off by normal 240V when there is power just opens it and when the power is out shuts it.

Can someone recommend me a irrigation store in Sydney area that will store such valve !!

Thx

kalebjarrod
Wed Nov 17, 2004, 07:42 AM
heaps of valves out thier that do what you want UNDER PRESURE

i run about 120 such valves each day at work, only ever seen this one type of valve that would be able to work under gravity or limited presure

Bad Inferno
Wed Nov 17, 2004, 08:23 AM
Billy,
Are you aware that 240VAC can kill you or your family ? A solenoid valve is generally not a device that comes with a 240VAC plug attached and have suitable insulation that protects the user.

I would recommend you buy a 24VDC solenoid, Asco are very popular and then buy yourself a 24VDC transformer. this is not a cheap option however.
http://www.southerncontrols.com.au/default.asp?url=1668&Type=2

If you persist with 240VAC go and find a washing machine repair shop and ask them on how you can do this with gravity (you will have to know your flow rate. They have 240VAC solenoids. The other option is just buy a hand valve $5.00 each and just hope you are at home when the power goes off so you can isolate your tanks :)

Come to think of it, if you are thinking of putting this valve on your return line to your sump I doubt very very much that you could afford such a valve with a large orifce such that it will allow ~100's of litres an hour to pass back into the sump.

kalebjarrod
Wed Nov 17, 2004, 09:09 AM
the other way around the problem is to install a automatic power failure switch

these devices will automaticlly turn on 12 volt air pumps, 12v water pumps and even sound an alarm (this is no good if you are not there!)

Bad Inferno
Wed Nov 17, 2004, 10:16 AM
Now thats a good idea Ryan

Buy a UPS (Uniteruptable Power Supply). They have come down heaps in price and a small unit is generally used for computers, $200 + depends on how long you want it to run.

If you just run your pump (60-100 watt I asume) through the UPS you may end up with 1-2 hours of run time. A PC power supply is generally rated at 200-300 watts. If you want to go down this path the pump is an inductive load so the surge is generally 7 times the normal current when starting. Something to consider when specifying the UPS. Powerware or Sola are good brands....and can be purchased through a PC supplier.

Billy
Wed Nov 17, 2004, 01:59 PM
Yea sounds like gd option

i will look into buying a UPS.

or modify my overflow pipe !!

Thx for the advice!!

Bad Inferno
Wed Nov 17, 2004, 09:47 PM
If you do not have an overflow in your sump you could look at just adding some more glass strips to the sides to increase the height and one of the glass peices you add could have a hole cut in. Not a very nice looking idea however at least would give you an overflow.