PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for algae eating catfish suitable for planted tank

JamezMan
Fri Nov 16, 2007, 09:02 AM
Hi. I have a 120 litre planted tank that has a little bit of algae, which myself and some other planted tank people believe to be caused by low co2 levels or nitrates, and I was after some ideas for small south american algae eating catfish that could help clear it up.

I currently have two otos and a small bristlenose in the tank to help keep the algae under control but I was thinking of adding another 6 or so. I was thinking something like a royal whiptail or something similar. What are others experience with otos and does anybody have some ideas of any other south american cats available in Aus that could be benefical and that won't eat my plants?

Thanks.

Scotty Bils
Fri Nov 16, 2007, 12:15 PM
Personally I like ottos as they seem to be always on the job and look great. I would be getting these if you want them for algae, I think they look great too!

I have peper mint and bristle nose also but they are lazy compared to the ottos.

ILLUSN
Fri Nov 16, 2007, 12:21 PM
ottos would be my first choice as well, followed by bristlenoses (common or albino) then SAE's then whiptails (common not royal) the bristlenoses SAE's are only usefull when young, the whips are slow and lazy from birth till death.

JamezMan
Sat Nov 17, 2007, 01:15 AM
Yeah the otos do always look busy I agree, but I think I would need quite a few to keep the algae under control which I don't mind doing. In regards to the whiptails I didn't know they were that lazy. So do you think one of these would be unsuitable for my tank?

Also what do you think about algae eating shrimp? Are many varieties available in QLD?

Thanks for the replies.

Luke.

ILLUSN
Sat Nov 17, 2007, 05:32 AM
shrimpget eaten by everything! ottos are great 2-4/square foot of tank bottom is best.
I love whiptails! I've got a few, they dont eat much algae, but are excellent scavengers.

JamezMan
Sat Nov 17, 2007, 11:24 PM
Ok cheers. I think I might go with some more ottos.

Luke.

Hassles
Sun Nov 18, 2007, 04:39 AM
Ottos are gonna' be good but.....there is a good chance you're gonna find yourself dependent upon the algae to keep the Ottos fed and hence alive. I have a good fish breeding friend who failed to grow enough algae to keep her Ottos alive. She was actually trying to grow algae to introduce into the tank just for the Ottos. Unfortunately they all died in the end. Anyone here have Ottos eating anything else :?:

JamezMan
Sun Nov 18, 2007, 06:09 AM
I've talked to some people from planetcatfish.com and they say that slightly blanched spinach or kale leaves are a good substitute for otos. So this is what I plan to provide once my algae runs out.

Luke.