PDA

View Full Version : Eartheater tank

ozarowana
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 05:20 AM
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/3992/6ft01kq2.jpg
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/7911/6ft03ya3.jpg
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/4769/6ft02za3.jpg

There's altifrons, pindare, peruvian angels, blue rams and leucosticta. Close to getting a locality ID on the altfrons aswell. :D

Davo
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 11:33 AM
What size tank are they in?

Dave

Ben
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 11:43 AM
awesome! are the green horseface of breeding age?

ozarowana
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 11:47 AM
They are in a 6x2x2. The leucosticta have bred before no fry though. I've only had them a couple of days and will have a go at spawning them.

Ben
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 11:52 AM
i would get the green horseface breeding asap!

Not sure what its like up north but there are none down here and everyone is jumping up and down for greens!

ozarowana
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 12:01 PM
Most of the people I talk to say they mainly come from melb :shock: These ones originally came from melb, I talked to a pet store and they said they get them from melb, there's a swirly face variant being bred in melb :wink:

SusieQ
Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:00 PM
Ozarowana.. You have inspired me.. or should I say your tank has..
I sold all of my discus because I thought we were moving.. Sadly due to the economy it won't be for awhile now. Luckily I kept my 12o gallon 4x2x2 tank running with an adult koi angel, some rummynoses and bns. Then I rescued a possible pair of gold severums and added them to the mix plus a small sev rott (redshoulder). Silly me I never had sevs before and next morning all 30 rummynoses were gone. So I was looking for something else for the tank and added 4 pearl gouramis. Everyone is getting along well but the tank is missing something.
I love your tank.. Do you think I could add in some geos.. if so how many and which knid.. I've already done bolivians and was thinking geo tapajos or geo steini if I can get any...
I use 2 xp3s for filtration and 82 temp and ph is about 6.8. I do 50% waterchanges at least once a week as its a leftover habit from the discus. I miss the discus and will have them again in the future but now the geos have gotten to me.
Do you think a sev (they are mellow and I don't think they will breed as they are damaged with only rays instead of gill fins and they have been together for 1 1/2 years at least) and geo mix can work?? is the 120 gallon too small because of the 4 ft footprint??
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I am quickly becoming a fan. Not sure which ones I can get here in the states either. Thanks so much Sue. .

ozarowana
Mon Dec 15, 2008, 02:05 AM
Geos should be fine with sevs and you should be able to just get about any type. Worth looking at Satanoperca species too.

SusieQ
Mon Dec 15, 2008, 05:43 PM
Hi there.. Thanks for the info Ozarrowana..
Love your tank. See you also have blue rams in there.. Any issues between them and the geos?? Do you think my sevs would see them as lunch?? I am thinking loosing the gourami and having sevs, geos and blue rams plus of course my angel.. Do you think the footprint of the tank (120 gallon 4x2x2)is too small for the combo?? Thanks Sue

ozarowana
Thu Dec 18, 2008, 05:00 AM
See you also have blue rams in there.. Any issues between them and the geos?? Do you think my sevs would see them as lunch??

I've never kept sevs but my big altifrons ate a few of the rams when they were smaller. I had to move them to another tank to grow out.

A 4x2x2 should be enough room. Make sure you get a small group of eartheaters as it disperses aggression and they do a lot better.

SusieQ
Fri Dec 19, 2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks oz... I am planning 6 orangehead geo tapajos.. I rehomed the rescue sevs and I now have only the small juvie Rotk sev, the koi angel, bns and pearl gouramis. Can I get daemons or will they grow too big for the footprint of the tank??? Do you think I can have one or two of them in addition to the orangeheads or I should just go for one group of fish.
I gonna get the orangehead fry hopefully in Jan and will probably add a few rams before then as the tank is gonna be looking very empty for awhile.. How many rams should I get. What temp do you keep your tank at. Mines at 82 but I think maybe I should raise it to 84 like how I used to keep my discus... Thanks for all your help so far. Any other info you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sue :D :D :D :D :thumb

SusieQ
Sat Dec 20, 2008, 02:58 PM
Hi Oz.. never ending decisions.. Well I rescaped the tank and removed most of the ecocomplete.. I'm thinking perhaps bolivian rams might work better than the blues.. the sevs do get big mouths LOL... and just the one group of orangehead geos instead of some daemons as well.
What temp do you keep your tank at. I know the bolivians prefer it a bit cooler than the blues.. Without the rams I was gonna raise the temp to 84 but I think with them maybe 82??? Is that too high? Thanks again Sue

ozarowana
Thu Jan 08, 2009, 04:47 AM
28 deg C (82 deg F) is a good temp for eartheaters. I would probably not mix daemon as well as they prefer a low pH. You could get a group of daemon instead so us aussies can drool over them when you post some pics. :lol:

SusieQ
Thu Jan 08, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hi Oz... Well the tank is still evolvving.. Had to rehome the juvie sev rotk as he was attacking the angels fins and therefore would probably go after the orangeheads as well.. He was a beautiful fish but has a good home and I have visiting rights. Took out all the eco complete.. I am now waiting on a school of gold tetras that hopefully I will get today and the orangehead babies perhaps in 2-3 weeks.. Yes I am getting impatient..and patience is definitely not one of my virtues.. but they are beautiful and certainly worth waiting for.. So I will have the angel, 6 orangeheads, 18 gold tetras and I don't know yet if I am keeping the pearl gouramis.. have to see how the tank looks with the tetras and angel occupying the top portions and how crowded it looks.
I also love the daemons but these orangeheads are very special so for now gonna wait and see.. same for the bolivians.. They are gonna have to be beautiful specimens or they aren't going in the tank so it may be awhile.. I promise pics down the line. Thanks for all your help. Sue

SusieQ
Sun Feb 01, 2009, 08:57 PM
Hi Oz.. just an update for you... no pics yet... I know I know.. but today I picked up 6 baby orangeheads from a guy who breeds them near here.. They are sooo cute.. they immediately went to sifting the sand even tho they are about 1 1./2inches only. They ignored the giant angel and the school of lemon (couldn't get the gold) tetras.. So the lemons, angel, bn and the 6 babies are the only ones in the 120 gallon for now.. with of course lots of manzanita branchy driftwood 2 plants that the sev didn't destroy and some flat rocks.. I'm loving them.. I promise I will take some pics in a week or so.. Thanks for all your advice.. Sue... oh I forgot the guy is also raising some daemons so maybe later in another tank... you never know..