PDA

View Full Version : UV filters, how long to leave them on?

Himbo
Thu Nov 11, 2004, 03:05 PM
I've just purchased a UV filter and set it up for my display tank. Looking through the booklet, I can't see anything about having the light on for only an hour a day, but some people in the forum are saying that this is what should be done.

What do others do on with their filters? Should I put mine on a timer, and for how long? I'm pretty sure I got the right wattage and flow rate.

Thanks.

kevkoi
Thu Nov 11, 2004, 09:48 PM
it should be on 24/7.

parasite
Fri Nov 12, 2004, 01:35 AM
24/7 to have water in contact with uv rays. switching the light on and off shortens the light of the tube.

Proteus
Fri Nov 12, 2004, 01:59 AM
24/7...

No if's, but's or maybe's

Himbo
Fri Nov 12, 2004, 06:02 AM
No if's, but's or maybe's

But if the average lifespan of the bulb is 5-6000 hours, you can maybe double the life if you only have it on for, say 12 hours a day, without much difference in the overall outcome..... :wink:

I guess it all depends on how fast bacteria/algae multiply in the aquarium. I mean, the UV light is bacteriacidal, not bacteriastatic, so intermittent use should in theory be possible, right? Or is my theory wrong?

Does switching the light on and off really shorten it's lifespan?

Where is the cheapest place to get replacement bulbs from? Mine is a PondMaster and takes a Philips.

kalebjarrod
Fri Nov 12, 2004, 09:13 AM
24/7

treat it like a filter, you would not buy a huge filter only to turn it on for a couple of hours a day? you buy a filter for your needs and run it 24/7, thats how they are designed to work

they are menat to be on 24/7

jim
Fri Nov 12, 2004, 10:40 AM
Just think how fast algae and parasite reproduce, and they reproduce 24/7 (maybe slower when it's at nite). So do you think just turn on UV one hour a day would kill much of them??!!
They will reproduce far faster then what' been killed by your UV. (if you only turn on few hours a day)

Himbo
Sat Nov 13, 2004, 03:15 AM
Thanks guys. I've set my light on 24/7....

Does the filter take away algae that has already grown on the plants? The dark green stuff....

jim
Sat Nov 13, 2004, 12:59 PM
UVs are great, but not that great. You have to trim the leafs that have hair algae. Hopefully thay won't grow back or spread to other plants.