PDA

View Full Version : Please Explain

ctvu
Wed Nov 10, 2004, 12:19 PM
Hi all

I got a problem with ammonia, it was usually zero reading now it is 1.2 mgl, is it because of overfeeding? I do w/c twice a week 1/3 tank each time. Or I just put second canister filter last week. Please explain and it would be appreciated if some one could tell me how to get rid of ammonia. I am planning to get some drift wood and plant, could it help? thanks

Proteus
Wed Nov 10, 2004, 01:20 PM
Do daily water changes, and double dose your tap water with water ager...

whilst on the topic, poor some water from the tap into a glass, let it stand for a few minutes to settle, then test it for ammonia. It is not uncommon to see high levels of NH coming straight from the tap.

If you do get a reading, either age your water if possible, or double dose with appropriate chemicals (Water Ager ACN, Prime, Aqua Plus etc)

ctvu
Wed Nov 10, 2004, 08:39 PM
Do daily water changes, and double dose your tap water with water ager...

whilst on the topic, poor some water from the tap into a glass, let it stand for a few minutes to settle, then test it for ammonia. It is not uncommon to see high levels of NH coming straight from the tap.

If you do get a reading, either age your water if possible, or double dose with appropriate chemicals (Water Ager ACN, Prime, Aqua Plus etc)

Thanks Proteus, atm I use ACN and store the water the night b4 w/c. Would you think double dose of ACN makes the water too soft that is not good for discus I guess?
I'll do the test and daily w/c see how I go. thanks

Proteus
Wed Nov 10, 2004, 08:53 PM
The ACN shouldnt adversely affect the chemistry of the water.

ctvu
Wed Nov 10, 2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks again for quick reply, I am at work now I have to wait until I get home. BTw is it because high level of ammonia make my fish jump or hide in the corner whenever I approach to the tank. They used to come to glass and beg for food when they saw me comming but not any more :(.

ctvu
Thu Nov 11, 2004, 12:01 PM
Today I tested the water from tap there is zero ammonia reading, and the water in tank is still 1.2, and now I got another problem that I already posted in the illness forum for help. Thanks

Trebs
Thu Nov 11, 2004, 10:15 PM
Yes, that is why your fish are skittish. Also check your nitrites as well.