PDA

View Full Version : Discus and Geophagus "Tapajo"

YoFishboy
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 05:09 PM
In the next few months, I will be setting up a 55g lightly planted tank for what will eventually be a community breeding tank for discus. Along with some cories, I would like to add Geophagus "Tapajo" as well. I plan to get a half dozen each of discus and G. Tapajo fry to grow out and keep a pair of each as they pair off. I have generally had positive feed back about this proposed set up from others, but I would also like some feedback from the folks here on the forum. Thanks!

dwilder
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 05:27 PM
i dont know about the fish you want to keep but as far as breeding the discus you'll want to keep a pair seperate with no other fish in the tank

mesia
Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:24 AM
Remember that Geo's love to dig, so any aquascaping you do to the tank will be promptly demolished by them. I had a pair that completely changed the entire layout of my tank within 48 hrs (dug massive pits and made gravel piles), and they also pulled out all my plants. I didn't have a problem keeping them with my discus tho, as the geo's kept to the bottom of the tank and the disus to the middle and top.

YoFishboy
Mon Oct 29, 2007, 10:26 PM
Remember that Geo's love to dig, so any aquascaping you do to the tank will be promptly demolished by them. I had a pair that completely changed the entire layout of my tank within 48 hrs (dug massive pits and made gravel piles), and they also pulled out all my plants. I didn't have a problem keeping them with my discus tho, as the geo's kept to the bottom of the tank and the disus to the middle and top.

Very true....I plan to use plants I can anchor to the drift wood or keep potted. Were you able to spawn your discus with the Geo taps in the tank?

mesia
Fri Nov 02, 2007, 11:38 AM
my discus laid eggs, but promptly ate them as it was too much effort for them to guard the eggs. I think you really need a dedicated tank if you want to breed discus successfully. Good luck with the geo, I'm a big fan of all geophagus species, they're beautiful fish that are full of character :D