PDA

View Full Version : Heaters with External controllers

Dave76
Wed Nov 10, 2004, 02:35 AM
Can anyone recommend a good brand of heater that has an external controller? Will be looking for three or four 300s.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Chris McMahon
Wed Nov 10, 2004, 01:31 PM
Haven't used one, but here's (http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod874.htm) one.

DIY
Wed Nov 10, 2004, 01:55 PM
I purchased an aquarline from aquariumproducts.com.au for $49 and have had it running for the last few days

So far I'm impressed, it uses an electronic thermostat rather than the bi-metal type that are used in the cheap glass heaters. (The bi-metal type have been known to stick and fry your fish) The accuracy on the controller compared to my electronic & glass thermometers is spot on

The temperature sensor is on a nice long lead so depending on where you place the controller - you could have the heater on one side of the tank and the sensor on the other.

Aesthetically the control unit is a bit bit cheap looking (white plastic!) but the stainless steel heat & sensor units look great.

So far so good - I'd buy it again next time I'm buying a heater. I also looked at the aqua-one stainless steel heaters at my lfs but the quality doesn't look as good and the sensor can only be about 30 cm or so from the heater

the only down side I can see so far - is the max temperature is 32c. I've read some posts where some have gone as high as 34c when using meds so it may be a consideration

HTH