PDA

View Full Version : Wild Greens

samir
Sun Oct 21, 2007, 12:08 PM
Bayfish has got them at 10cm. Anyone know what kind of quality they are ???

taksan
Sun Oct 21, 2007, 01:47 PM
Don't know but @ $83 ea it couldn't hurt to check em out

samir
Sun Oct 21, 2007, 01:56 PM
Don't know but @ $83 ea it couldn't hurt to check em out

I've got a price list for even less. At that price they would probably not be worth the 40 litres of water they would take up

ILLUSN
Sun Oct 21, 2007, 11:42 PM
Samir or Taksan, any chance of getting a photo from bayfish?

I'd be keen on 4-6 if the quality was there.

gypsy3
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:08 AM
how do you guys buy from bayfish...aren't they a wholesaler only ?. When i tried to buy my heckles originally,( from Bayfish) i had to go thru my lfs and they wanted to charge me $240 per fish! I really want wild greens but can't afford them at the prices the lfs charges.

samir
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 07:12 AM
When i tried to buy my heckles originally,( from Bayfish) i had to go thru my lfs and they wanted to charge me $240 per fish! I really want wild greens but can't afford them at the prices the lfs charges.

don't think a lfs can afford to sell it much cheaper than that.

benkk
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 07:40 AM
is it possible that we do a group buy directly from Bayfish ?

Ben
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 08:35 AM
Taksan how many do we want? 8-)

taksan
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 09:46 AM
I dunno call your little girlfriend and find out about them

samir
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 10:36 AM
they still have the altums on there.

Benkk, I don't think they sell direct to the public.

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 10:57 AM
don't think a lfs can afford to sell it much cheaper than that

fair call mate, i think alot of people forget that any shop that doesnt tack on at least 200% on its wholesale cost is going to ge broke really quick.

Ben
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:10 AM
I dunno call your little girlfriend and find out about them

I lost her home number will call her at work in the morning. :wink:

taksan
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:52 AM
they still have the altums on there.

Benkk, I don't think they sell direct to the public.

LOL we ain't exactly the public ......

gypsy3
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 12:08 PM
really?....200% is a fair mark up? i'm not being smart, just didn't realise that it was that much. Makes it hard for us poor ole pensioners to get the kinda fish we'd like to have. thank god for Fathers Day! ( thats where the heckles came from, courtesy of my wonderful girls) :)

samir
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 12:09 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: no more discus for me.

Hassles
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 12:21 PM
In all sincerity - who here can confirm the validity of the fish's origins ? Price, I admit, is one limitation but who wants a fish that is not what is is suposed to be AND in this regard who would know ? ? ?

samir
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 12:27 PM
If Bayfish says wild, its wild.

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:09 PM
200% is a fair mark up? i'm not being smart, just didn't realise that it was that much. Makes it hard for us poor ole pensioners to get the kinda fish we'd like to have.

sorry to get off topic but if a shop buys in a bunch of fish for say $100, they have to house them, feed them, condition them to local water. this takes time, then they have to pay wages, rent, power water, equiptment maintence costs and still have enough money left over to make it worth their wild. plus a few fish always go belly up in the process and as unfortunate as it is for us end consumers were the ones who have to pay 3x what they paid wholesale.
when I've moved off youngans to a LFS id get $10-$15 ea then they'd sell them at $30- $45 ea. thats just busniess. and in my area thats all the market will pay for baby discus.

samir
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:34 PM
I think around 120-180 is what you'll probably pay for the greens from a lfs

Amazing Amazon
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 05:43 AM
All sold!

ILLUSN
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 06:48 AM
you didn't buy the lot did you?

Amazing Amazon
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 06:58 AM
Yup! :P

Tommo
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 07:33 AM
Nice Work !! Not To Far From My House Either Can You Let Me Know When They Come In ?

Cheers Tommo

ILLUSN
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 09:26 AM
you ship to sydney right?????????????
pics PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Ben
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 09:34 AM
All 10 sold before they were bought!
Pics to come!

ILLUSN
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 10:01 AM
damn you melbournites work FAST!!!!!!!
looking forward to the pics mate

Tommo
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 10:33 AM
Gee ......... I Did Not Even Get A Sniff !!!!! :banghead

Well Who Ever Got Them I Hope They Are Nice Fish !!!

Cheers Tommo

Ben
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 03:56 AM
Here are the pics!

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118309#118309

taksan
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 04:19 AM
All 10 sold before they were bought!
Pics to come!

Yep ....by me of course ! :wave2

If ya snooze ya lose in the wild caught game.
:wave1

Of course I feel sorry for all those who missed out (in some cases its missed out AGAIN) so here's a lil violin for ya ....

:boohoo

samir
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 06:14 AM
all the greens have gone, however blue face heckels are back, whoever wants them should get them now.

Ben
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 06:42 AM
all the greens have gone, however blue face heckels are back, whoever wants them should get them now.

Should have not mentioned that!:shock: Now Taksan will get the lot!

Squid
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 08:10 AM
Their will be a few more coming in soon I hope. I know a few of the guys down there and have bought from Bays for 10 years. Very few fish came out of the 'zon' this year. I'll bet those fish were sourced from Germany from what I've seen. Other importers are importing from the same German exporters, but dont expect much as the Germans pick the guts out all the good ones before they export. You would too! Anyway - my wild greens are in the process of spawning as we speak. Going down to the shed to see if it all worked out.

Also - if you are a wild fan, you'de better buy up soon as the Brazilian govt is about to put the clamp on wild fish exportations - or at least numbers exported. Going to be slim pickings for a few years to come, so expect a price hike.

Squid

benkk
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 09:09 AM
If i have a ABN number, am i allow to buy Wild Discus from Bay Fish at all /??

Merrilyn
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:19 AM
Benkk you actually need to own a retail aquarium shop to be able to buy fish direct from Bayfish.

Amazing Amazon bought all ten wilds on behalf of one of their customers, taksan.

You could probably do the same, by asking your LFS to order them in for you. You may need to leave a substantial deposit on your order.

samir
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:25 AM
Also - if you are a wild fan, you'de better buy up soon as the Brazilian govt is about to put the clamp on wild fish exportations - or at least numbers exported. Going to be slim pickings for a few years to come, so expect a price hike.

I think Hugo mentioned that as well. Might have to give the missus a net and put her on a rickety bus to Peru, the next time she goes home. :lol: :lol: :lol: should be a good thing if they are expensive people will breed them

samir
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:42 AM
If i have a ABN number, am i allow to buy Wild Discus from Bay Fish at all /??

try one of our sponsors, maybe they can get some in for you. If you dont have any luck shoot me a pm.