PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Automatic Water Changer

jwight
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 02:40 AM
Hi DIY experts,
I was wondering how to get water from a lower holding tank into a upper positioned Aquarium. I was thinking that a clear hose, air pump might be able to do it but any suggestions. I am looking to do 30 litres at a time.
Any suggestions would help. If at all possible and the materials necessary.
thanks

I am also running this topic at plant geek no pressure but which forum is better?

africandiscus
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 02:53 AM
A water pump will do it. I will take a picture tonight and post it here.

kalebjarrod
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 07:40 AM
our diy section is a little more relavant because we can give au prices and local stores to buy from

plus i am the king of DIY, even if i do say so myself :wink:

parasite
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 07:59 AM
tubing & pond pump will do the job so long as the max head height is more than ur tanks max water level

jwight
Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:04 PM
I have included a simplified version of my desired set up if this is possible and what I would need. For the pond pump idea I the pump would be submerged in my tank yeah. I was hoping an air pump would do it as I have 3 lying around. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kalebjarrod
Wed Nov 10, 2004, 08:31 AM
i understand the concept, but can you store the storage tank above the tank? save you pumps

i have a simple device i am working on for my next tank which will allow for the changeing of water from a few turns of a valve

but all these concepts work around the fact that i have a drilled tank which is attached to a trickle filter which has large overflows attched so i can never overfill my tank by accident

jwight
Thu Nov 11, 2004, 12:10 AM
Sorry if I offended you I know youre all great. I did this topic at plant geeks and they were explaing some float valve to top up condensation.

I cant keep it higher as the tap water must run down to the holding tank. I searched for a pond pump and there is a little one that does 300 litres per hour or something for $33 which is fine with me. Does the actual pump go in the main or holding tank?

Thanks guys

kalebjarrod
Fri Nov 12, 2004, 09:02 AM
i use a simlar float valve on my SUMP

to use it in the tank would make for a ugly looking tank, i use a series of overflows and a trickle system as this is the easy way to maitain a constant water level and retain a asthestic to my tank

i have started a thread of my automated water change system here

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661&highlight=

kalebjarrod
Fri Nov 12, 2004, 09:03 AM
P.S no offence, another point of view

jwight
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 02:15 AM
I read that topic a month ago which prompted me into thinking about automated water changes. It looks very complicated and I cant be drilling holes in walls etc so not for me. Just a simple water change device so that I can hold the for 24 hours water at the correct temperature and remove chlorine before putting in the main tank. Nothing hard Im just DIY retarded and a little adventurious thanks for your help. I will use a pond pump unless thats a bad idea? Is there a certain limit to the size of pump I would need so that it could lift the water that high? e.g. about a metre.

kalebjarrod
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 04:16 AM
O.K

i will draw up a DIY auto water changer for the DIY handicapped tonight

no wall drilling, not to compilcated, any other things i have to do? price? size limits? give me my limitation and we'll see what we can do!

weird
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 07:52 AM
Ryan, can you make it only out of paper and glue ?

kalebjarrod
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 07:54 AM
very funny, i geuss i asked for that

jwight
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 01:05 AM
Ha Ha Ha very funny. No plan necessary found what I needed a pond pump 800 litres per hour (bit fast but cheap price) for $30 bucks. Holding tank from my work a big plastic tub like thing propably about 50 litres. I was wondering should I filter through peat or carbon in an internal box filter in the holding tank so that the pH is less than 7.4.

jim from sydney
Fri Dec 31, 2004, 09:53 PM
I have included a simplified version of my desired set up if this is possible and what I would need. For the pond pump idea I the pump would be submerged in my tank yeah. I was hoping an air pump would do it as I have 3 lying around. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jwight....does this work for you????? i need to do a similar thing with my new 6ft. tank. i run an external canister filter......
can youtell me some more details ...have you encountered any major issues??? thanks ...Jim

jwight
Sat Jan 01, 2005, 03:05 AM
I will show pictures once I have finished everything.

There were no major problems. Once you turn on the pump and the pipe is still in the aquarium it will fill. If you don't briefly remove the pipe from the aquarium after the filling has stopped it will syphon back and make the floor or cabinet a little wet.

I have used a 1000LPH pond pump from bunnings the cheapest I could find as I use it very briefly. I rubbish bin or any other storage facility and pvc pipe for structural support.

Hopes this help

jim from sydney
Sat Jan 01, 2005, 05:54 AM
how much was the pond pump, and how big is it. will it fit easily in your holding tank? i suppose you would only run it for 2 min or so....are you building it in permanent plumbing?

cheers....Jim

Trebs
Sat Jan 01, 2005, 10:28 PM
I've got a pump from bunnings that I use for w/c from a 150ltr wheelie bin(also from bunnings). The pump cost about $25-30 and has been worth its weight in gold.

jim from sydney
Sun Jan 02, 2005, 03:53 AM
just been to bunnings.....nothing left ofcourse after xmas....also little or no pvc pipes except 50mm and bigger.. any other place to get the pvc tubing??????
cheers ...Jim

weird
Sun Jan 02, 2005, 03:59 AM
Have you tried the bunnings in Dural ? That one is huge.

jwight
Mon Jan 03, 2005, 02:19 PM
$18 for pond pump. Works well. 2 mins on approx. It is however hard to know when to turn off the pump with a non-transparent storage bin and a dark cabinet. However when I find a float switch and work out how to use it it will be a lot easier.

jim from sydney
Mon Jan 03, 2005, 09:35 PM
thanks Dave.....not yet only tried pennant hills and nth parramatta. will try dural today
cheers Jim.