PDA

View Full Version : fry starting to die

Crocky
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 08:17 AM
Hi my name is Brad

My 4 week old fry are dropping dead one by one, so far 7 last night 5 more this morning and know more are tonight.Over last week I had to move my fish around as my 450 litre tank started to leak and at that stage I had 3 lots of fry on the go,one in this tank which I put a screen up to keep to other discus away from the two which had layed and hatched some babies.So to cut this story down is I have put all my tanks in a rack and these babies where still on mum and dad,but mum was giving dad a hard time so I dicided to put them into smaller tank and pull that other fry from there parent put them into this 4 foot tank togeather.Now I noticed wednesday night some where sitting higher in the tank I have been doing 1/4 water changes morning and night an hour after feeding plain heart (grated) and my wife feed them some micro worm,freezed dry brime shrimp or crushed flake.Tonight all where still alive some look to be acting a little strange then I put some heart in the tank then and thing more death.They seem to have there gill open and moving 3 time as quick as normal going dark then dieing.Could some help as help as I dont know if its the food or water as I feed my 6 week fry the same heart and Ive been doing larger water changes the last three time.One tonight but didnt seem to be helping look like the where all going to die if left them in this water so I pulled them and know there in the tank with the 6 weeker which are in a 300 litre tank.

p.s fish are spawn in the next tank as fry are dying in the other what going on. HELP PLEASE :oops:

parasite
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 10:23 AM
welcome to DF brad, what are ur water paraters eg: ammonia , nitrite , nitrate , pH KH ??is the filter cycled ?? how long? type of filtration ??

flukes
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 02:13 PM
Yeah would say the tank hasnt had time to cycle, fry are very sensitive too ammonia any at all will cause death..

Crocky
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 08:56 PM
thanks for the replies

the tank was set up by using 2/3 of parents tank water and topped up with aged water same tept ect.
Tested water for ammonia,nitrate which where both clear 0 and ph is 7.2 to 7.3 same as the tap.Filtration is two small corner filters filled with ammo- ex or something like that which is rechargeable 3/4 and filter wool on top.
p.s with th first lot of fry I had a hang on the side filter with a stocking over the intake which I had to clean twice a day as it clogged up with all the fine heart ect might be the differents.

nicholas76
Sat Nov 13, 2004, 07:34 AM
doubt its ammonia!

if it was they all would have died in one hit , not one by one.

sounds bacterial. the flukes disease is also a possiblity.

Did you know that the parents can carry flukes and pass it on to the fry.

photos would be ideal. Id like to see them.

nick