PDA

View Full Version : discus and peppermint bristlenose

Jonesy
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 02:11 AM
i have a pair in a 3ft tank by them self at the moment.. i am getting 15 peppermint bristlenose on the weekend now i have anough tank room to but them in my big tank 5,2,2... just woundering if i colud but some in the 3ft with the pair.....or will the peppermints try to eat the eegs...(when i get some ) has any got any peppermints with there pairs.. (as the 3ft is starting to get some algae in it).. The peppermints are only 3-5cm

flukes
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 02:15 AM
Havent heard of it happening and i keep pepp bn's with discus with no problems..

mtchye
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 03:15 AM
Do you keep the peppermints with the breeding pairs though? I keep peppermints with discus and they are good tankmates. I am not too sure of the safety of your eggs once the lights go out though.

luvmydiscus
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 05:31 AM
When I bred angel fish i would always keep a small dim light on close to the tank so the pair could still see their eggs and guard them. One of those hallway lights, but a dim one.

Good luck.... :D

BlackGhost
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 08:00 AM
As long as you feed your peppermints. they will leave the discus alone. For the eggs i dont know.

flukes
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 02:03 PM
They wont touch them trust me, ive seen my pepps cleaning the breeding cone going around the eggs. Until the parents scared him off!!

mtchye
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 03:21 PM
Thanks flukes, thats good to know.

Vincent

nicholas76
Sun Nov 07, 2004, 06:42 AM
Ive had my discus go nuts when the pepps have come even semi close to the eggs!

id rather not have them in the tank to be honest. Pepps may mistakenly cross over them in there travels across the tanks.

flukes
Sun Nov 07, 2004, 01:47 PM
Chances are slim and if they did iam sure the parents would warn them off.

nicholas76
Sun Nov 07, 2004, 08:53 PM
Scotts,

its more of a stress factor thing.

why get the discus parents all stressed out with defence when they should be caretaking the eggs , wrigglers, and fry