PDA

View Full Version : freashwater mussels

scott bowler
Sat Sep 08, 2007, 02:18 PM
hi guys anyone now much about freashwater mussel. i found a very intreasting study that is being done about how they are being used to filter water in some of the local rivers here in sydney. I was wondering if they tolarate low ph and if they carry any thing that may have a affect on any tropical fish . Freshwater Mussels are biological scrubbers that help filter the water column and reduce turbidity.here is the link what do you think scott
http://www.wetlandlink.com.au/content/using-freshwater-mussels-as-biological-scrubbers

scott bowler
Sat Sep 08, 2007, 02:26 PM
i also heard that sea water clams remove nitate from the water ,i wonder if freshwater mussels can do the same and if so what numbers do you think that you would need to have a effect on a tank of say 400lts just a thought

RipSlider
Sat Sep 08, 2007, 03:18 PM
I'm guessing that the potential risks of mussels would be the same as with clams, i.e, the stuff they eat gets stripped with out filtration, and not many fish leave them alone.

Which is OK, until they die. A dead clam/mussel looks exactly like a live one, until it rots and wipes out your tank.
I've tried them in my shrimp tank before ( mussels ) and they lasted about three weeks until the tank was totalled pretty much over night ( happily the shrimp were fine ). I used Swan Mussels which is a species here in the UK. Kept the tank at about pH 7.5 and had a lot of flow a mimimal filtration.

Steve

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 09, 2007, 02:32 AM
Scott, I have to agree with Steve. I tried them many years ago and wouldn't do it again.

Dead or alive, they look the same, but what a dead one can do to the quality of your water, is not to be recommended.

scott bowler
Sun Sep 09, 2007, 02:52 AM
ok thank you just thought it was a intreasting point as too what they are useing them for in the water ways

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 09, 2007, 03:08 AM
Oh yes, I agree, they are brilliant filter feeders, and can turn a green water tank clear in a matter of days...but...................if only they had a little sign on them that said "I'm Okay".

I used to gently tap mine on the shell each morning and night just make sure they were still alive, but even so, a dead one managed to pollute the water and wipe out a display tank full of neons.

godprint
Fri Nov 09, 2007, 03:54 AM
Oh yes, I agree, they are brilliant filter feeders, and can turn a green water tank clear in a matter of days...but...................if only they had a little sign on them that said "I'm Okay".

I used to gently tap mine on the shell each morning and night just make sure they were still alive, but even so, a dead one managed to pollute the water and wipe out a display tank full of neons.

so anyone figured out how to tell if they r dead or alive??

what about normal clams? would they help in the filtration of wateR? i think it's really quite interesting to have them in the system... LOL

put them in a "DIY" overhead filter?

Ben
Fri Nov 09, 2007, 11:28 AM
I prefer my mussels sauteed with garlic tomatoes and herbs! :wink:

Mussels have been used in SW tanks to help with excess nutients and no3 but if they die they can pollute the tank in no time.

Bubbles
Fri Nov 09, 2007, 12:18 PM
Even better pickled in wine vinegar & fresh chilli - hehehe

Marto
Mon Feb 18, 2008, 12:45 PM
Hi Scott,
No good for a discus tank mate, they don't like the low ph. (not the local or native ones at least)
At too low a ph you will see the shells degrade rapidly.

I have an Australian native tank at a ph of 7.5 with bass and gudgeons with 8 mussels scrounging around the bottom (all from a local creek) with a couple of canister filters and I hardly have to touch it or the filters.
I put the low maintenance down to the mussels, no other tank is so easy or hassle free.

They do actually have a sign on them saying I'm ok, if the valves are open all is good, and as to fouling tanks when dead I'd have to say they would be no worse than leaving a dead fish in there and we wouldn't do that would we?

One day I will get around to setting up a natural sump, sand - live wood - mussels - and shrimp.

Cheers,

Marto.

nd55
Mon Mar 24, 2008, 08:33 AM
> they are brilliant filter feeders, and can turn a green water tank clear in a matter of days

Mine didn't, and now that I've gotten rid of the green water I have to find some some so they have something to feed on.... Bother!

> so anyone figured out how to tell if they r dead or alive??
If they're clamped closed, OK.
shell open, gone to fish heaven.

Not much in between.

It's obvious once you've been staring at your new critter for some time, cause they don't really do much and only allow the shell to open a fraction (~1mm) typically.

NIck.