PDA

View Full Version : Float valve for water storage bin

weird
Thu Nov 04, 2004, 11:12 AM
HI

I have had a few accidents of not keeping an eye on the hose filling up the water storage bin in my house.

Anyone know where to find something like this ?

http://doityourself.com/store/6363238.htm

Like something that is easy to attach with something like these brackets.

africandiscus
Thu Nov 04, 2004, 11:19 AM
What is it?

parasite
Thu Nov 04, 2004, 11:48 AM
Ive seen float valves at Bunnings.

Dave76
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:53 AM
Try the plumbing section at Bunnings or other big hardware stores - you can get the ones they use for toilets quite cheaply and they are fairly easy to install.

Regards

Dave

Al
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 06:50 AM
The only problem with putting a float valve in your water storage container is that as soon as you start pumping water into your tank, the float valve will start the flow of mains water. This will cause you to put chlorinated water into you tank.

I was thinking about this very problem the other day, and i came up with this:

Two water containers (i use two home brew containers, 2x30L), one has a small pump, heater and the float valve from a toilet cistern. The pump is used to circulate the water from one container to the other. When doing a water change, a normally open solenoid closes when the external water pump turns on and stops flow from the container with the heater. When the pumping is finished the solenoid re-opens and the level in the two containers reaches equilibrium, which intern opens the float valve and re-fills the container.

I'll post a pic, but i can't find a normally open solenoid... admittedly, i haven't look very hard. Anyone know where i can get one?

You can see in the picture the container on the right has the float valve, and when i want to pump water to the tank, i close the valve circled.

Dave76
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 08:23 AM
I use well water for my changes so don't have the chlorine problem - my problem is heating the water from the 3-8deg it is out of the ground and stabilising the ph - 5.5 up to 7.4.

If you've got cash to spare and a big enough storage container you could look at a double float valve (use one in my water tank) - they allow you to set a max / min water level before the refill starts.

http://www.irrigationwarehouse.com.au/prod257.htm

Dave

weird
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 11:37 AM
Will drag my a8se to bunnings .... everbody buy shares in Wesfamers (Bunnings owner) !!!

Al , very nice setup !

kalebjarrod
Sat Nov 06, 2004, 02:34 AM
don't go to bunnings, they will charge you a fortune and a half

go to an irrigation/pump shop they are cheaper.

you can buy simple float system like mine for around 10.00 + float

simple attach it to the mains system and TURN IT DOWN to nothing more than a drip. i empty my tank in 3 mins, it tanks 4 hours to fill. the amount of un-aged water that gets into my tank is next to zero and i always have a new clean aged batch every day

:wink: