PDA

View Full Version : My Epaullette Sharks and Snow Flake and Zebra Eels

paulj
Thu Sep 06, 2007, 05:17 AM
Hi all, I have attached photos of my pet sharks and eels. Great pets but no respect for decorum, they constantly rearrange it to suit themselves and at feeding time all hell breaks loose the female shark just about leaves the tank to take the food out of my hand and the snow flake thinks that he can digest human fingers. The zebra is 900mm long and very shy I had to hand feed him but he is now holding his own.

taksan
Fri Sep 07, 2007, 04:55 AM
Have you ever considered feeding your fish?

nicholas76
Fri Sep 07, 2007, 08:15 AM
nice fish!

those sharks are great pets but they grow Big , you need about 180 gallons per shark atleast.

they naturally hop about so a rock tank will get heaps of movement , good luck with them.

paulj
Sat Sep 08, 2007, 09:36 AM
The photo was taken just before I fed them they are fed every three days twenty minutes later they were much fatter. They normally eat white and blue bait as well as prawns, The trouble is that after feeding they look positively obese and they would eat 24 hours a day if they where allowed but would put a huge load on the biological system. In aquariums it is a fine balance between keeping them healthy and looking for food or dead from nitrate overload. Thanks for the comment

RipSlider
Mon Sep 10, 2007, 12:33 AM
they do look a tad on the thin side.

Would it not be easier to feed them less, but on a more regular basis? And boost the skimming of the tank??

The more you skim, the less there is to be broken down into nitrates.

nicholas76
Thu Sep 13, 2007, 11:47 PM
The volume of nitrates these fish would make would be pretty heavy for such a small system. I wouldnt feed less to manage a skimmate issue. Those guys are juveniles and need a meal.

I'd only be game to keep such large fish if I had the tank space, a decent size sump,skimmer, w/c routine and refugiam. thats the only true solution, feeding more but less or whatever ratio wont do much.