PDA

View Full Version : Fin Rot mediaction?

Davo
Mon Nov 01, 2004, 10:59 AM
Gday,

A couple of my discus have minor fin rot. What is the best medication to treat it?

Also what type of salt do you use to treat diseases?

Thanks,
Dave.

mtchye
Tue Nov 02, 2004, 01:14 AM
I have found the tri sulfa medications available in LFS very effective towards certain external bacterial infections such as fin rot. I believe however that it may or does affect your filter bacteria. Others may have a milder suggestion...

Dave76
Tue Nov 02, 2004, 03:21 AM
I've used Melafix to treat fin rot in bettas before - worked great.

I haven't had the problem in my Discus yet - (touch wood)

Regards

Dave

Davo
Tue Nov 02, 2004, 06:11 AM
What about the type of salt and how much per litre?

Dave.

flukes
Tue Nov 02, 2004, 09:24 AM
Aquarium salt at a rate of 1tblspoon per 40ltrs, if it gets worse double it.

Keep me updated on this, because i have a yellow crystal that has white poo and very bad fin rot. I thought it might have ben hex so i treated for that, with no success also treated with prazi just because i do it every couple of months.

But nothing seems too work, she looks like she is on her last legs (or fins) and is getting a peppering mostache.

Dont know what else it could be, just intrested because fin rot was the first symptom i found on this fish.

Also she is with 5 other fish which no have the desease..

:?: :idea: :?: :idea: :?: :idea: :?: :idea: :?: :idea: :?: :idea: :?: :idea: :?: :idea: :?: :idea: :?: :idea: :?:

ctvu
Mon Nov 29, 2004, 09:06 PM
Hi Scott

What is Aquarium salt? is it the blue stuff? Would you please tell me more like what brand? where to buy? etc ..

Thanks

ctvu

pastaboy
Sun Dec 05, 2004, 01:25 PM
Hey Davo, I'm Richard, just cured a very bad case of fin rot in the last few days myself. I also used Triple Sulfa ((Aquarium Science)Brand). As with the bacteria falling hit it with the right dose of a product like stress-zyme will up your bacteria straight away. Good idea to use a product like stress coat to try and put that slime coating back on the fish after such a traumatic outbreak. As for Flukes if you say you have white faeces it is normally an indication of worms. Try treating for both worms & flukes! I use rock salt from my business. Just out of curiosity

Trebs
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 09:06 AM
I agree with Pastaboy.. white poo is often a sign of worms. If your fish have worms, it will be the stress from the worms producing the fin rot. Fin rot is usually environmental, but can be caused from stress. I've had sucess with triple sulfa, but my gut feeling is until you solve the poo problem, the fin rot will persist.
For worms, I have been told to get a dog worm tablet, crush it and blend it in with 1kg beef heart. I haven't tried this myself, but have had friends that treat sucessfully with it. I have tried sterazin, but had no joy (I found out about the dog wormer too late). Is your crystal eating? Is it going up to the food and then turning away? Is it eating the food and then spitting it out? Is it still looking plump in the forehead / belly?

ctvu, the blue stuff is usually water conditioner.. Aquarium salt is just plain old ordinary rock salt (as sold at your supermarket) with a fancy packet. Just make sure the rock salt doesn't say "iodized" on the packet.

Mattzilla
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 09:23 AM
just buy pure sea salt... i use rock salt and it work really well.

a friend of mine told me he got a 10 kg bag of pure sea salt from a pool shop for around $7...that's pretty cheap and would last for ever!