PDA

View Full Version : b/h Recipe Tip

africandiscus
Sun Oct 31, 2004, 09:07 AM
I made b/h today for the first time. I was in Coles in Eastgardens and saw beef heart on the shelf and bought it. It was just under $4/kg. I bought the biggest one off the shelf, it was about 850g. Most of them seemed to be about 800g

My wife allowed me to use her Kenwood Mixmaster (food processor, chef). It is that machine that you use for cakes. It has a piece which fits on the top that minces meat.

A good idea my wife gave for the veggies, was you use the blender. I put the baby spinach, cucumber and carrot in the blender added a little bit of water and blended away. I used a fine strainer and strained all the water away and was left with a paste. Next time I am going to use a bigger range of vegetables.

Added all the ingredients to the Kenwood and turned to the highest setting for a minute and everything was mixed thoroughly.

There was no mess at all. I just had to clean the stainless steel bow.

I took some of the mixture and dropped into the tank. The discus went crazy. After I put all the mixture into zip lock bags, I went back to the tank. They were still eating. This was 10 minutes later. I decided they had enough so I took out the gravel cleaner to vacuum the remains. They would not move away from the food. Normally as soon as they see the cleaner approaching they move away. Not this time. I have never seen them take to food like this.

This is definitely the way forward for me. It is so cheap, compared to what I “used” to give them. I now have food for at least 3 months.

Next time I am going to use more veggies, the blender water idea gives you the option to use anything you like including fruit.

I did not add paprika, I am not sure of the benefits.

africandiscus
Sun Oct 31, 2004, 11:13 PM
I take that back, I have food for at least 6 months. A cube of b/h is at least 5 times more food that a cube of bloodworms or brine shrimp. It is solid food vs food with water.

ctvu
Wed Nov 03, 2004, 01:29 AM
I take that back, I have food for at least 6 months. A cube of b/h is at least 5 times more food that a cube of bloodworms or brine shrimp. It is solid food vs food with water.

Hi

Why and what do you take back? Is the mixmaster going well? No messy and mix the whole thing well together? Thanks

ctvu

africandiscus
Wed Nov 03, 2004, 02:54 AM
I take back the statement about having food for 3 months. I have food for 6 months.

Mixmaster is amazing. No mess at all.

One step I forgot to mention is I blend all the dry ingredients into a powder before adding to the mixmaster.

kalebjarrod
Wed Nov 03, 2004, 07:54 AM
try adding spirulina, red capsicum, carrots, a multivitimum pill, paprika, prawns and tuna steak next time

PERFECT :wink:

africandiscus
Wed Nov 03, 2004, 08:08 AM
I followed Mattzilla recipe, I did all prawns and tuna and multi and all the other good stuff.

I see in another post you mention it is fine. How many times did you put it through the meat grinder.

kalebjarrod
Wed Nov 03, 2004, 08:49 AM
nahhhhhhhhh not a grinder, food processor

little gun hoe at the on switch