PDA

View Full Version : Filter wool

kalebjarrod
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 09:06 PM
Has anyone trialed different source for filter wool?

they sell a non-perfumed, non-allergenic, non-bleached non-this and non-that pillows at the moment, they cost $2.00 and the material inside looks identical?

just trying to be a cheap asre

weird
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 11:14 PM
I use filter wool in all my filters, if your lucky your LFS should sell you a big pillow of it for less than $10. I just tear a bit off, and replace the old one when I monthly inspect my filters.

D.J
Mon Nov 01, 2004, 11:18 AM
I got mine from Monaco at Canley vale for $9, which is a bargain, as it's HUGE. Probably takes me about 1 year to get rid of them, and mind you I have 3 filters runing for my 4 foot tank.

Don.

Dave76
Tue Nov 02, 2004, 03:25 AM
Try a fabric store - look for the stuff they use to fill up quilts & similar - they call it wadding I think.

My mother used to work in a fabric store and got me a whole roll of the stuff - it also comes in different thicknesses as well - I use it in all my trickle filters.

Dave

nicholas76
Tue Nov 02, 2004, 05:39 AM
I go to Spot light, which is a material store. full of grannies buying all sorts of stuff.

just pick up a few meters of dacron, itll last you ages

or

go to Clarke Rubber

and ask for aquatic sponge for fish tank and they will even cut it to size for you.

DiscusMad
Tue Nov 02, 2004, 02:03 PM
fabric store in hersville sells it on a roll its pritty thick and I get 1m for $5