PDA

View Full Version : clown loaches

djceri_g
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 09:06 AM
how may can I put in my 55 UK gallon tank with 5 Discus, i have a snail problem! It is a bare bottom with bogwood and potted plants

ILLUSN
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 09:22 AM
3 smaller ones

djceri_g
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 10:33 AM
Will they get agressive with only 3?

FishLover
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 06:07 PM
I have 3 of them in my 125 g tank and they are fine so far (4 months). Got rid all of my snails in few weeks.

Since they do grow big, be prepare to trade them in after they get big (two years, I guess?).

djceri_g
Fri Aug 17, 2007, 06:22 PM
cool, thanks for the advice

scott bowler
Sat Aug 18, 2007, 01:40 AM
djceri_g what sort of snails do you know .if they are the cone type loaches have troble getting rid of them for some reason. but they will get rid of the others .Also if you have never had some thing like it with the discus before keep an eye on them, some times they dart around the tank and spook the discus. and the discus freak out

djceri_g
Sat Aug 18, 2007, 05:52 PM
hmm, Ive just had a thought! They are malazian snails!! I have a bare bottom so theres no point having them snails! also have little worms because ive been over feeding! I think i will have to think before bying anything, Ive only just bought 5 new discus today, pics to follow!! But I thought of getting a loach to use as a hoover! or will they just produce more waste in my tank? Thanx guys

ILLUSN
Sat Aug 18, 2007, 10:54 PM
clowns woint eat malaysian live bearing snails, you'll need something bigger, try snail rid the day before a water change.

jdejay02
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 05:25 AM
The best way to solve snail problems is to never but the stupid things in your tank to began with i hate snails.

James_H
Sun Sep 02, 2007, 10:13 AM
clowns will suck the mt's out their shells, mine did anyway.

djceri_g
Tue Sep 04, 2007, 01:03 PM
do they clean algae? Ive been starting to get algae in my tank

moneymike
Wed Nov 21, 2007, 06:08 PM
Scott mentioned that clown loaches won't eat the 'cone' type of snails. How do I get rid of them, or do I need to? I have a planted tank and it looks like they like to get at the roots of my swords, or eat pieces off the leaves.

Are they harmless and just eating algae or do I need to rid my tank of them?

ILLUSN
Wed Nov 21, 2007, 10:11 PM
malaysian live bearing snails, burrow through the substrate and eat any left over food or decaying matter, they dont usually eat plants unless there is no other food available. they ramshorn and possibly apple snails are proably the best snails to have in your tank.

if your over feeding their poulation will explode, the best way I've found to keep their numbers in check is with physical removal.

snail rid wil kill them, but it will also knock about loachs, catfish and some tetras, might not kill them but they wont look happy while it's in the water.

I've also found java moss and some swords (particularly younger swords) dont like snailrid.