PDA

View Full Version : my 5ft by 2ft by 2ft with plants and fish ......

Jonesy
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 02:06 AM
i but my discus in my big tank about a week ago and thourht i wolud post some picks... i also got some new guys so i got some photos of them 2...
spotted eruption and i love them..

parasite
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 11:06 AM
nice fish and setup , what size tank and what filtration u running ?? looks good.

lesley
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 08:13 PM
Looks great.

Lesley

kalebjarrod
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 09:16 PM
very nice looking tank

i love the look of timber cabinets, well stained and a well lit planted tank behind them

sooooooooooo soothing

well done mate :wink:

Jonesy
Sun Oct 31, 2004, 07:51 AM
thanks ... i am running a canaster filter 1500 litters an hour.. also a internal power filter 800 litters an hour.. was thinking of getting a second canaster fillter

BlackGhost
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 08:15 AM
Looks great. Hope i can get mine looking good like that.
Great stand 2.

weird
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 11:34 AM
that is gorgeous ! love it !

africandiscus
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:10 PM
Looks great

lesley
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 10:36 PM
Hi Jonesy,

As the plants grow, I think you may find that you don't need another filter. I am running a 683 litre planted tank with one canister filter (which is actually rated for a smaller tank - I think about 600 litres) and have a hydro type sponge at the other end. Have an air line dispensing air at very slow rate - occasional bubbles along the back of the tank. I set up my tank after doing a fair bit of reading of Diana Walstead on Aqua botanic whereby her el natural tanks rely on the plants and only have filters to move the water around the plants. I did an experiment on this and removed all the biological filter material (saved it in another tank in case it was needed!!) and put completely new material in. I actually expected ammonia and nitrite, but got none. The plants were doing it after all.

My tank has been running for over 12 months now and the plants are very well established, I have to get in there and prune savagely every so often.

I wouldn't be trying relying completely on your plants yet, but by the time your fish are grown, if your plants are well established and healthy, my experiences may help you.

Lesley

Jonesy
Sat Nov 06, 2004, 11:16 PM
to late ... i wen't to the disucs show this weekend and picked up a canister fillter 900L an hour for $60
i thought it was to good to miss out

sunshinediscus
Sun Nov 07, 2004, 10:21 AM
sweet, nice mix of colors

DIY
Sun Nov 07, 2004, 01:02 PM
Looks great,

I'm trying to talk my boss into letting me get a 6x2x2, and yours is the sort of look I had in mind.

What sort of tubes are you running in your lights? - I'm assuming it's flouro's under the hood

lighter
Thu Nov 11, 2004, 02:00 PM
Thats a nice looking tank!

Trebs
Tue Nov 23, 2004, 06:26 AM
It looks like the anubas in the first pic has it's rizome under the gravel (I could be mistaken). It needs to be above the gravel surface so it won't rot.

Nice tank by the way, should be really good when the plants take hold.