PDA

View Full Version : Under gravel heating

scuba123cliff
Fri Aug 10, 2007, 04:54 AM
Hi guys
I have been looking for aa under gravel heating cable so far the longest i have been able to find is 5mts long.Im unsure if this will be long enough,i have just made a 1350x500x500 tank.5mts will only go 3&a half time across the base of the tank is this enough to do the job.So if anyone can reccomend a cable that is longer any brand or even a diy solution i would be glad to here it.
Thanks
Cliff

ILLUSN
Fri Aug 10, 2007, 06:15 AM
mate i understand your problem, i ended up using 2 units in a 6x2, kinda wish i'd used 3.

Hassles
Fri Nov 09, 2007, 11:13 PM
So you're using 2 cable set-ups, what type (may I ask) and how satisfied with them are you :?: Are you primarily using these for plant health :?: What are you using as substrate :?:

I ask as I myself am on the threshold of investing in a substrate heating system for sand or 2mm sized gravel.

Thanks

ILLUSN
Fri Nov 09, 2007, 11:21 PM
G'day Hassles,
I'm using 2 red sea root therm's 40w each.
substrate is 4 inches of eco complete with 2 inches of Tahitian Moon sand on top. i'm using them for plant health, too keep water circultaing through my substrate so it doesn't go anerobic.

so far I'm very happy, theres no dead spots i can see in the substrate and the plants are doing very well (some too well)