PDA

View Full Version : Discus baby not growing

weird
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 04:13 AM
1 of 8 baby discus is not growing. The 7 have doubled his size. When I first received them they were about the size of a 20 cent piece. The one not growing still is.

Now I am thinking at one stage he must have been growing ... get get from wriggler to that size. Now after he mas moved to my new dwelling from the breeder he refuses to grow.

Of the 8, he does seem to sit back abit from the pack.

I feed a great variety of food, and do 50% water changes daily. He seems to eat, but not as much as the others. Sometimes I see him pooing.

Anyone had any experience with a runt of the litter and if he ever made a come back. I am beginning to think one day he might just pass away.

weird
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 09:01 AM
OK, in the last 24 hours I have been carefully observing which foods the baby eats and does not eat.

Normal daily menu ...
1. Brine shrimp
2. Color bits.
3. Beef heart (duscus food).
4. Blood worms
5. Brine Shrimp

He only eats the discus food ! So I think he has almost been starving himself with one meal a day ! This makes sense cause he seems to only poo 1-3 hours after this.

So my plan is to make Beef heart 2 meals a day, change menu ...

1. Beef heart
2. Color Bits
3. Brine Shrimp
4. Beef heart
5. Blood worms

Does this sound like a plan ?

I think George at SLS showed me a book, Penang Discus which had a table of the effects of feeding too much of each food to discus ... anyone got this info ?

weird
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 09:25 AM
I euthanasiaed the little one ... he was wasting away and had been for a long time ... I had tried treating him for the commons with prazi and metro but no improvement. Finally I decied to freeze the guy cause I could see he was not getting better.

Of 9 babies bought, lost 2 ... 1 jumped out of tank and I was too late in finding him (now the tank is fort knox) ... and 1 baby wasted away. Hope the other 7 keep plowing along ... have done a hugh clean today.

africandiscus
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 10:07 AM
Sorry to hear it. Never good when you loose loved ones

parasite
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 10:16 AM
Sad but sometimes its the most humane thing to do. Did u open him up to see what might have been the problem?

weird
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 10:31 AM
Best to leave opening up my pet to a professional, or atleast someone who knows what they are looking for I guess. I will just keep a very close eye on the other tank mates, and make sure the conditions are as perfect as possible. I have increased the temperature to around 34 degrees , which at the moment I inetend to keep at for 1 week ... not sure if that is a wise or unwise thing to do ... sorting of sitting a the ceiling of max temp for discus.

parasite
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 10:49 AM
well hopefully its a one off thing and nothing to do with the your other fish , 34 Degrees seems a little high IMO but ask kev he is the man to speak to

weird
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 11:09 AM
I think your right, I will drop my temperature down over the next few days. Needed a reality check. I have read that discus can survive at these temps, but I am over-reacting.

kalebjarrod
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 09:40 PM
nine juvenilles bought in one hit can be a little overwemling, what size where they when purchased

hard to spot a runt in a batch of that many

you did the best thing though, no need for suffering

weird
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 11:16 PM
bought at less than 20 cent size, now they are larger than 50 cent. Very rewarding experience watching them grow ... tough at times too.

kalebjarrod
Sun Oct 31, 2004, 12:18 AM
yeah Dave,

when thier that small it's much harder to pick out any problem fish

its definatly a reward to what em grow, just a pain when little problem like that arise