PDA

View Full Version : bristlenose/discus compatability

Alexi
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 04:54 AM
heya!

i am wondering if discus and bristlenose catfish would be okay to keep together?

kind regards,

Alexi

fish_r
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 08:41 AM
bn's are no problem with discus, well i havn't had in problems with them anyway...

Merrilyn
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 10:42 AM
Yep, I agree. BN are excellent with discus.

Robdog
Fri Jul 27, 2007, 02:25 PM
BN, as everyone has said are fine with discus.

AND I have 3 for sale if you need some. ;)

Andy123
Fri Oct 05, 2007, 06:33 AM
They do grweat together!! I have 5 bn in my discus tank and they get along well

vanessa messig
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 02:37 AM
Hi everyone,

Can you please tell me the secrets to keeping BD's with discus? Temp., PH, water chemistry?

I used to keep them years ago with other fish but have not been successful with my new discus tank.

vanessa messig
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 02:38 AM
Sorry, BN's

DiscusEden
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 11:46 AM
Try putting some driftwood in the tank - they don't do well without it. I feed mine on algae wafers & they also eat the discus's leftover frozen "discus dinner".

I keep the tank at 29 - 30c, and used aged Adelaide tap water with Seachen Prime & some crushed coral sand in the tank to raise the kH.

Basically, if the water is good for the discus, it should be fine for the BN, if they have some wood & some hiding holes.

vanessa messig
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 11:59 AM
Thank you DiscusEden, I will get some crushed coral sand and hope to keep the PH stable and swap my pleco which is getting quite fat for some BNs. I have lots of driftwood for them.

DiscusEden
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 01:20 PM
Where are you Vanessa? I'm only using the coral because the kH is so low in Adelaide water that I couldn't get a reading. Check the kH of your water before starting to adjust it - you may not need to.

Good luck with the BN's!

vanessa messig
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 01:01 PM
Hi DiscusEden, I am in Melbourne.. my KH is the same, I can hardly get a reading, the test water does not even turn blue but goes straight to a tinge of yellow. The GH is a little too high though around 71.6, I am a bit confused. I also use Seachem Prime when adding water to the bins and let it age for a week, perhaps it is not aged enough.
Its strange because in the last few weeks I had been changing the water more frequently so I was shocked to see the nitrates go up so high and the PH level down.

I appreciate your help and your advice as I have only had discus since November, thanks.