PDA

View Full Version : do i really need to test ph etc.?

scrappy
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 05:08 PM
I know this is probally a stupid question, but is it really necessary to test
ph, acidity, etc? I know many people who keep up their water changes and have aquariums all their lives and have never done any of these test.

luvmydiscus
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 08:01 PM
That really depends on the individual. I am not saying that you should or should not have a test kit. I have never owned one in my 20 years of fish keeping and breeding. I have always kept up my water changes, filter cleanings etc. Yes I have had the odd time a touch of ick, especially when I go to restalk my tank.

If you are really unsure of your tank and water parimeters you might want to get a kit until you feel confident enough to do without one.

Good luck..... :D

weird
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 11:36 PM
IMHO, I would. No harm in checking. My community tank swings to below 6 regularly ... which is very different to my tap water ... without testing I would not be able to determine this. The going theory right now is this is because of bristtlenose poo .... I am not 100% convinced ... anyhow I have tried buffering it this weekend with shell grit.

africandiscus
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 11:52 PM
It is good to test PH to monitor water changes

flukes
Mon Oct 25, 2004, 01:43 AM
I used too check every day for the first 6months of a tank, then for the next 6months i would check the tank ph and my storage barrel before water changes, now i am fairly confident i know what they are. But if i need too check i still have the test kit on hand.

For a new tank i would say its a must..

parasite
Mon Oct 25, 2004, 12:32 PM
i would recommend having a pH test kit in order to make sure the water used in the water changes is close to or similar to water of the tank and to also monitor ph stability of ur tank . discus require stable pH and stable temp .

kalebjarrod
Tue Oct 26, 2004, 08:19 AM
it's a great thing to have and use regulary in the first few months, record the information so you can remember and understand the water you use

then you will only need a pH kit if you see somthing werid happen to your fish