PDA

View Full Version : Suggested pump to pump water out of tank

weird
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 01:18 PM
After connecting my resun sp6000 inside my water bin and pumping water into my tank for the water change, I am now thinking about exiting the water. Currently I let the gravel siphon, drain the water into a 100 litre bin, then with 2 buckets carry the water to my shower, until the bin is light enough to empty all water into the shower.

I am thinking about placing a pump inside my tank, about 25% below water line by suction cap. A short hose connected to the pump with an adapter. Because I have no immediate drain , and can not have a permanent connection to a drain, like my shower which is 5 meters away. I would like to connect a hose from my shower, with a join/adaper to my pump in the tank. After doing a basic poo/food sweep of the bottom with the gravel siphon, let the pump rip and put the remaining water of a 25% water change directly to my drain.

OK, what pump do you recommend to have sitting in your tank , at the water line where you wish to have your water change ?

flukes
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 01:23 PM
Here is a better idea, get a long enough hose to reach a window or drain. Use the suction caps with holders they use on heaters, some lfs sell them for spare parts. I know aquatic dreams in Dandenong sell different sizes.
Sit the suction cap at the right level and connect a ball valve or gate valve onto the hose.

Then when your ready too do your water change get your phyon, when your dont turn the valve. Now next time you need too drain the tank just turn the valve...

If you really want too use a pump i would just use a powerhead as the gravity will create most of the flow.

weird
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 01:53 PM
Right now I am thinking about using a powerhead. The resun sp6000 would probably do the job, but think tank, not sexy sports car when you look at this guy.... not something you want visible.

I have seen pumps in some other pictures, but being very unfamilar with pumps not sure what would actually suit for this job.

This is my current setup. Btw the internal heaters will be gone tomorrow. I hooked up a Hydor external heater today, and just waiting 24 hours before I remove the 2 internals.

I like the idea of having abit of tubing vertically sticking up from the top of the pump with a joining connector. Plug in the hose which leads all the way to the drain, with its joining connector and flicking a switch.

I am having problems attaching the picture ... keeps saying ...

Upload Error: Could not upload Attachment to ./files/intake_from_water_bin.jpg.

Will post it later

But your right Flukes, gravity will do most of the work ... I just want it done as quick as possible though, maybe a pump will help. I will still go with the segmented tubing idea, abit already in the tank positioned, with a joiner bit.