PDA

View Full Version : Parasite in my tanks

Billy
Sat Oct 23, 2004, 06:26 AM
hi all,

i was doing a normal cleaning in my discus tank, clean the glass..etc

but i find something that is swimming inside the water.

Some tiny white dots (smaller than 0.5mm) swims in a zig zag motion!!!
Never seem this b4.

can anyone tell me what they are and are they harmful to fish. i always had white worms in the my tank, but ppl told me, it was from tap water!!

How can i treat it???? My fish looks fine with no sign of distress!!

i had been feeding the same food all the time, most recent change of food is about a month ago where i bought some discus dinner from SA.

Billy
Sat Oct 23, 2004, 06:42 AM
hi all,

actually one of my discus is starting to hav fin rotting but it is still very active. As i walk up to the tank it starts to swim up and down lookin for food !!

will this be some type of fin rot parasite ??

again how can i treat it

never encounter this problem b4!!!!

Thx

weird
Sat Oct 23, 2004, 11:39 AM
Increase your temp to around 32 degrees just to start you on some treatment.

kevkoi
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 12:18 AM
Type "Planaria worms" into Google and have a look to see if what I'm thinking of is what u are describing. ;)

Billy
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 03:44 AM
no it wasnt planaria worms.

The tiny white dot swims !!! yes they swins in a zig zag motion not crawling !!

so any ideas ???

if i rsie my temperatrue to 32C should i remove my fish before i rise it ??
because i got other fish than discus in my other tanks (go through a sump)

weird
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 04:38 AM
Oh, maybe the other fish will not like such high temps.

Not sure what that is. Is it affecting the health of your fish ?

flukes
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 04:41 AM
Planaria worms are small and dont really look like worms, normally due too overfeeding. They are also found in the water supply some times.

luvmydiscus
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 04:45 AM
Do you have any new plants in this tank? I once bought some water sprite and it was totally infested with jumping water like fleas. The guppies at the time were having a hay day catching these little bugs and eating them.

If they are on your glass and not on any fish at all I would just wait and observe what they do. I am against just dumping in chemicals at the first site of a bug in the tank. Chemicals send your tank into a stir and your levels are everywhere.

If your fish has fin rot it would not be from the bugs but rather a bacterial problem. If you want to add something to the tank I would suggest a weak dose of non iodized salt. Preferably aquarium salt for freshwater tanks. Follow the recommendations on the bottle. Salt also if fish are not looking good maybe due to some sort of infection etc it kick starts their electrolytes too.

I have beenkeeping and breeding fish for 20 years now, I am happy to say the only chemical I have ever kept in my 20 years is Aquarisol if I get a case of ick or fungus disease. My tank is very well established and I am very careful from fish to plants what I put into it. I don't even own a water test kit as I have seen so many people get all excited when their ph, ammonia, etc get a little out of control dump in the chemicals.

If you do regular water changes, clean your filter and material and replace when needed, don't over feed your fish and all are happy healthy and doing just fine leave well enough alone. I call these aquarium chemicals everyone dumps in for this and to bring down that "expensive fish killing chemicals" your LFS is making a killing on these.

good luck to you hope your fish are all fine.... :D

Billy
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 06:19 AM
Hi all,

sorry to ask again!!

i had a closer look at the bug inside my tanks

This is what the bug looks like.

Its about <1mm big, white

it can walk on glass, i think they jump rather than swin.

Anyone seem this before ??

can't upload pics, WHATS WRONG ??

Billy
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 06:58 AM
Will a UV light kill these stuff ???

weird
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 08:20 AM
I think a UV light would do the trick.

parasite
Sun Oct 24, 2004, 08:28 AM
UV will only kill the ones that come in contact with UV rays not the ones on the glass try cleaning tank sides by giving them a wipe before each a w/c.