PDA

View Full Version : I've got Eggs - All over my anubus!

mystic_beth
Mon Jun 25, 2007, 09:10 AM
Well I had suspected for a while that a couple of my Angels had paired off..and now I have Caviar in my tank :D A sight to see. The female is quite diligent ..but I am not so sure the male even knows what to do with the eggs. I don't have a spare tank at the moment or I would move the Pakastani Loaches out..As I don't fancy the chances of the young. Oh well..I am working on my set up...soo I will have a 3ft tank just for this kind of eventuation.

I had a thought today. If you are not a licenced seller..how do you sell on your babies? I could imagine things would get quite a bit crowded pretty quickly if ya didn't 8-)

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 26, 2007, 06:27 AM
Yaaaaay well done beth.

Angels are so cute, but they make terrible parents, so we usually take the eggs away from them and hatch them in a separate tank, away from the parents. Just make sure the water is the same as the parent tank, and you should have no problems.

Selling the babies is not usually a problem, and you don't need a licence to sell as a hobbyist.

Usually the local fish shop will take some off you, if you make the price reasonable, and of course, you can always advertise them on your local fish forum.

Although they start out with around 200 babies, you really need to cull very heavily, removing any deformed or not "up to standard" fry. There is no market for them, and as a breeder, it's really your responsibility to see that only the best fry are offered for sale. This usually turns out to be around 25% of the spawn, so selling around 50 juveniles is not terribly difficult.

Good luck with the parents and the eggs.

It's a lot of fun.

mystic_beth
Tue Jun 26, 2007, 01:04 PM
Aww

Got home from TAFE just now and all the eggs are gone :shock: Well I expected it..it was their first time.

So if you put the eggs in a separate tank, do you need to do anything special for them when they hatch? I read the parents clean them etc.

Sponge filters, fine fry food etc

I'll try and have another tank on standby for the next time the eager couple want to have a go.

To the yukky bit..what is the best way to cull fry? (should this eventuate?)

DiscusMad
Tue Jun 26, 2007, 01:11 PM
clove oil a few drops in a bucket will do but do the job outside or the clove smell will linger for a while

electricyellowz
Fri Aug 03, 2007, 11:31 PM
I know you need to be a licenced seller in tasmania.