PDA

View Full Version : Royal whiptail breeding tank

DiscusEden
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 01:31 PM
Hi guys,

After some advice (again).

I've finally got it together & after a night of hunting I've caught my pair of royal whiptails & stuck them in the BB 80L Orca tank (high enough flow that it used to blow the discus juvies around).

I know this seems silly after they've bred so often, but what (if anything) do I need to add to the tank? Do they need driftwood for the breeding tank (it collects debris), or can I get away without it? Do they need a surface to spawn on, or will they settle for the glass?

Assuming this works out, what to feed the babies?

Thanks again,

Carolyn

Kingkat
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 11:03 PM
Carolyn, Driftwood would be good. They will probably spawn on the glass anyway. Cattapa leaves are great and the old almost broken down ones are good food for the fry. I have a tub out in the sun with lots of algae growth that I rotate pieces of 30mm pvc pipe to and from the main tank for algae.
Cheers,
David.

Ben
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 11:20 PM
KingKat is right on!

Feed the babies 48 Hours after they hatch with frozen baby brine shrimp. I found FBS is better as it stays on the bottom as aposed to live BS.

DiscusEden
Thu Jun 21, 2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys! Very much appreciated!

I'll give all of the above a go, though I don't know how much algae I'll get this time of year, as it's been 1C overnight here for the last week & not looking at improving anytime soon. Might have been less, as the air conditioner is rated to work to -8c & has been cutting out. Anyway, feeling suitably jealous of Cairns, but will give it a go.

Any idea where to get Cattapa leaves down here anyone?

Will try frozen bbs again - still have pleanty left after the blue ram debacle - bought an eye dropper now, rather than the syringe, so I shouldn't blow them all over the tank. If the fry are on the side of the tank, do I still just drop the bbs in the bottom?

Is the cunning plan still to remove the female after spawning, then remove the male once they hatch? Just checking, 'cos once they go back in the 6ft I don't think I'm ever catching them again, now that they're onto me.

Thankyou so very much again for your help!

Ben
Fri Jun 22, 2007, 12:32 PM
When the eggs get to this stage you could use a razor blade and careful cut them away from the glass and put them into another tank or float them in the main tank in a icecream container.

take the eggs away just before hatching, too soon and they will go fungus.

DiscusEden
Fri Jun 22, 2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks Ben,

You're a genius!

Ben
Fri Jun 22, 2007, 12:40 PM
no probs!

I have bred 5 types of whiptails in the past and am currently growing out my 6th type of whiptail!

Farlowella's are a good whiptail to breed just slow growing fries.

samir
Fri Jun 22, 2007, 12:44 PM
stunning picture Ben :shock:

DiscusEden
Sun Jun 24, 2007, 10:40 AM
They laid on the glass thismorning.

I tried to get a photo of them at it, but they started getting put off, so I had to give up. I'll try again later.

Thanks for the help guys! Those eggs (in the pic) look about day 4? Sound about right?

ILLUSN
Wed Aug 22, 2007, 10:30 AM
Update DE?
my commons have just laid too in the DAMN COMMUNITY TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how'd you go caring fo the eggs and fry?

DiscusEden
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 06:55 AM
Hi Illusn,

Well, they were all doing well, 34 fry at 2.5cm, then I got a puppy (which is why I haven't been on here as much, toilet training & all), and didn't do a water change for a week. I gave the remaining 4 fry to fish_r a week or 2 back, in the hope that they'd do better in a puppy free environment. :roll:

I think the exercise would have been successful, were it not for this:

I'll try again next year - they seem to be off the lay for now, so they're back in the community tank.

ILLUSN
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 07:41 AM
VERY CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!

scott bowler
Thu Aug 23, 2007, 07:46 AM
hey DE how is puddles going hehe keeping you running with the mop lol

DiscusEden
Fri Aug 24, 2007, 04:06 AM
Thanks guys - yes, when the puddles happen, I sometimes tell him "it's just as well you're cute!".

He's starting to get there. Something seems to have clicked in his doggy head (or mine) this week & we're doing a lot better. He's the star (and the biggest) in his puppy pre-school class & I'm very proud.

Who knows, I might be able to pay attention to the fish again at some stage. Maybe.