PDA

View Full Version : EGGS!!!

Richy
Tue Jun 19, 2007, 11:24 AM
hi everybody
my geophagus brazilienis has just laid eggs, i was wondering if i had to do anything special for them or if the parent s would do all the work?
They are currently in a 2foot fish tank, and the eggs have been laid onto a teracotta pot that i placed in the tank.
thanks Richard

bun
Tue Jun 19, 2007, 11:52 AM
Hey man, when the eggs hatch let the parnets hold the fry for a few days in their mouths and when they get a tiny bit bigger take the parents out or they might eat the babies. Feed them really finely crushed flake or liquid fry. Then watch them grow :D

Richy
Wed Jun 20, 2007, 01:19 PM
hi,
the eggs have already hatched. ( :D :D )
but the babies are just trying swimm around the bottom. is this normal or should the mother be holding them in her mouth.
if this is wrong what should i do?
also i saw the female picking up gravel in her mouth and then trying to spit it out the tank, what is she trying to do and what should i do about it?
thanks richard

bitrusty
Thu Jun 21, 2007, 09:28 AM
hi mate

the pickin up the gravel is just her searching for food or if its in the same spot they also dig pits for the babies for shelter.My pair have been spawning for years and i have never seen her take any babies into her mouth just let her look after them they are great parents.
cheers russ

mistakes r crucial
Sun Jul 01, 2007, 04:56 AM
Biggest problem you're going to have is where to grow out all those fry, get them right and they are prolific breeders, big numbers. Don't know about them being mouth brooders, that's a first for me.
MAC