PDA

View Full Version : Water Ager - What's your pick?

skoom
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 01:05 PM
Just wondering what water ager people prefer and maybe some pros and cons.

I use stress coat.... what do other people think of it? I seem to like things that come out of Aqua pharmaceuticals...

flukes
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 03:09 PM
I use ACN only because of the concentration and i havent had a problem with it for the time i have been keeping all aquarium fish.

Proteus
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 09:10 PM
Water Ager ACN plus I have a few 2L AquaPlus bottles lying around

sunshinediscus
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 09:45 PM
I don't have cloramines in my tapwater so there is no need for neutrilizers, clorine is very easy to remove without having to add anything. Just use activated carbon in the treatment tank if clorine is all you have, it works out way cheaper especially if you have heaps of water to treat.

Rod

weird
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 10:05 PM
Have been using seachem prime, but looking at a less expenisive alternative ! As long as it is just as good.

Proteus
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 10:19 PM
Rod, if only we were that lucky here in Sydney...

aside from Chlorine, there is Chloramine, Copper and the other goodies they dose the water with due to the quality issues we have asa result of the low water table in the dams

mtchye
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 11:39 PM
Yeah over here in Perth we sometimes have to contend with heavy metals too, so stuff that binds it like Prime etc are the go...

I use Seachem SAFE and dissolve it into a Prime concentration. It works out much cheaper and as I've heard some horror stories about ACN I guess I'll just stick with SAFE/Prime...

Chris McMahon
Mon Oct 18, 2004, 05:13 AM
I don't have cloramines in my tapwater so there is no need for neutrilizers,Are you sure Rod? I thought Brisbane water used chloramines.

Check out BCC's water site (http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:STANDARD:459793775:pc=PC_925).

Water for home aquariums
Brisbane Water uses chloramine to disinfect water for drinking purposes. This is toxic to aquatic life.

You need to remove all traces of chloramine when using tap water in your aquarium. You can do this by:

boiling the water for 10 minutes and letting it cool to room temperature, or
ageing and exposing water to sunlight for at least two days, or
buying de-chlorination agents from aquarium shops

BTW re: oringinal poster - I'm on the Gold Coast, which uses chlorine, and use ACN.

I've heard some horror stories about ACNCare to elaborate?

mtchye
Mon Oct 18, 2004, 05:37 AM
Sorry I shouldn't have said anything about ACN. All I've heard is based on hearsay and ppl losing fish when switching from Prime to ACN. I should state that I never tested it out nor have I ever used it, I just kept going with Prime because it has worked for me, though ACN seems good value for money.

I guess I'm a little wary since at the LFS I used to work at, alot of the water conditioners, especially the locally manufactured ones, consisted of very low concentrations of the active ingredient and often had to be dosed at higher than recommended dose rates to completely get rid of everything.

Some of these products were mostly NaCl.. and it was your luck whether you got any thiosulphate in the spoonful that you threw into the water.

Theory is that people don't notice since fish can tolerate quite a bit of it in the first place. But then you get mysterious fry and sensitive fish deaths etc..

I guess its better safe than sorry for me, and Seachem has an internationally established reputation.. plus prime and aqua plus and sera aquatan were the only 3 that the shop used to recommend to customers as when tested the recommended dosages did as they advertised.

Then again we didn't have ACN at the time.

I guess all I'm saying is that recomended dosages can make it seem like a product is very economical, but they are not all quoted using the same standards... so you may want to test out on your own tap water what the appropriate dose is to completely rid it of chlorines and chloramines.

In addition to this, some water authorities use a flocculant that has a somewhat toxic heavy metal as a constituent. They do this when water is very murky, i.e. after big rains etc. Apparently this can explain why someone who uses no or an average water conditioner can suddenly experience wierd fish symptoms after a water change. These heavy metals are not easily measurable so I tend to use the types of conditioners that can chelate or bind metal ions to reduce their toxicity, rather than straight thiosulphate products, even if the water does not contain chloramine.

Originally I was a person who did not use any water conditioner at all. The tap water once blasted into the tank and mixed with the tank water did not seem to have a high enough chlorine concentration to do the fish any harm. Many of the fish spawned during the water change and after.

One day after such a water change the fish became listless. Soon a few stopped eating. It was suggested to me that metals in the water could be the culprit and as I dosed the Prime into the water, the fish perked up within the hour. This sort of proved to me that something other than chlorine or chloramine was affecting the fish, since this was a week or two after the water change had been done. It also seems that Prime and products that claim to remove heavy metal toxicity instantaneously fix whatever it is that was distressing the fish. I don't know what it is, as I have no resources to experiment and find out, all I know is I'm now a converted water conditioner user...

Hope that long winded post made some sense! :) At the very least it may be something to think about next time your fish have any unexplained illness...

Cheers
Vincent

sunshinediscus
Mon Oct 18, 2004, 06:25 AM
Hi Chris,

Yes i'm sure i don't have cloromine in my tapwater. Brisbane actually use 2 sources for water and indeed some areas do have cloromines but in my area we use a different water catchment and treatment plant and no cloromine. My water is also softer and lower ph compared to most areas.

Rod

Chris McMahon
Mon Oct 18, 2004, 07:18 AM
Yes i'm sure i don't have cloromine in my tapwater. Brisbane actually use 2 sources for water and indeed some areas do have cloromines but in my area we use a different water catchment and treatment plant and no cloromine. My water is also softer and lower ph compared to most areas.Good to hear. I didn't know there was a variation in Brisbane's water. The Gold Coast is similar, with northern areas getting their supply from Brisbane Water, with Chloramine.

Mattzilla
Mon Oct 18, 2004, 09:27 AM
i am using seachem safe at the moment (powder form) but i used to use prime

from waht i know prime is just liquid safe.... both have and are working fine.

does anyone know the exact doasge to use when using SAFE? i know the approx dosage rate but not sure of the exact...so i'm probably overdosing and wasting a little

thanks

mtchye
Tue Oct 19, 2004, 12:41 AM
Yeah I don't like dosing the powder form of safe since its so hard to be very accurate with the crappy lil spoon.

To mix the SAFE into a concentration similar to prime, which you can then dose with a 1ml pipette accurately.. put 250g of SAFE into a 1litre container and fill it to the 1 litre mark with distilled or R/O water.

HTH
Vincent

Mattzilla
Tue Oct 19, 2004, 03:13 AM
thanks vincent! i'll make some up asap in the liquid form because i did much prefer it in the prime/liquid form myself.

cheers

faewyn
Tue Oct 19, 2004, 09:01 AM
I use ACN (preferred) and Prime (on an irregular basis)

D.J
Tue Oct 19, 2004, 09:20 AM
Just bought my self Water Ager CN, is that the same as ACN?
Also I noticed that in one of the post it says 1 ml is to treat 80 litres of water, but on the bottle it says 1 ml to treat 40 l of water, can anyone who uses Water Ager CN care to explain?
This is the first time I use ACN, prior to this I use Prime.

Donald.

Chris McMahon
Tue Oct 19, 2004, 11:00 AM
Just bought my self Water Ager CN, is that the same as ACN?
Also I noticed that in one of the post it says 1 ml is to treat 80 litres of water, but on the bottle it says 1 ml to treat 40 l of water, can anyone who uses Water Ager CN care to explain?
This is the first time I use ACN, prior to this I use Prime.

Donald.CN is a weaker version of ACN. ACN treats 60L per 1ml.

Also I think it might only treat chlorine, as in Chlorine Nutrualiser vs Ammonia Chlorine Neutraliser. According to my bottle, ACN is a "instant Chlorine, Chloramine, Ammonia & Hevy Metals Neutralizer + Slime Coat".

parasite
Tue Oct 19, 2004, 11:43 AM
I use prime (seachem)

weird
Wed Oct 20, 2004, 09:56 AM
Ever done anything that you knew you would regret ! Bought 250 ml Prime this weekend, in upper north Sydney ... north shore has the worse LFS !!!!! for $37 .... I said no and gave him back the bottle after I paid for it and saw the receipt ... but knew I was time poor that weekend said ... gee ok ...well alright .... knowing I could get a better price elsewhere ...., and the kid behind the counter had the nerve to say, "it will last a long time." ... I ignored him ... man that does not last long at my place ... anyhow, I saw I can get 500 ml of Prime for the same price online !!! I am livid.

faewyn
Thu Oct 21, 2004, 11:58 AM
I know the feeling dave, I can buy 120ml of ACN for $8 online but I have to pay $6.95 for 30mls at my LFS :roll: