PDA

View Full Version : Geo's Spawned....what the hell do i do next hahaha

Mattzilla
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 06:13 AM
Hi guys and girls

i came home today to find that my flirting geo's had spawned!!!!!

i thought they where just a couple of fliting teenagers but i guess they are a little more mature than i thought

here are some pictures. can you please tell me if i have the sex right (if you can tell by the breeding tube etc)

and also what do i do next? or can they look after themselves???

i have three other goes and some bristle nose cats in the tank...should i move them? well i can't really move them but i have a tank divider...should i throw that in and keep the others away for a while?

thanks very much for your help

matt

Mattzilla
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 06:14 AM
and here is mum

cheers

Mattzilla
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 06:16 AM
i was just looking at the pics in my post.... i noticed that i have the male as having the stumpy breeding tube and the female with the pointy breeding tube....that doesn't sound right to me.....

help.....

taksan
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 06:22 AM
Feeders .... Yummy
:twisted:

Mattzilla
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 06:28 AM
hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no way man!

MangoR34
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 09:24 AM
Good work mate!

Let me know when you got fry and put down on some please!

Cheers
Mango :D

Ben
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 09:59 AM
well done mate! Let us know if the eggs are fertile.

mrfish
Wed Jun 06, 2007, 10:52 AM
Nice work Mattzilla

I would believe the pointed tube to be the male and the blunt tube to be the female. The way to surely know if to watch them breed next time.

There are several options to weigh up with the other fish in your tank. A divider as you suggested may be a good idea since the bristle nose are night feeders (may catch Geos off guard in the darkness). Keep in mind not to disturb the mum and dad too much. Placing the parents in a separate tank may also work however you need to use the same water from your main tank and keep at same temp (a tip that some times luring parents into buckets under water to catch them is less stressful than nets.)

Hopfully the Geos should be able to take care of the eggs and start to take them up and mouthbrood about 36-48 hrs from breeding (depending on what Geos you have?). I would also keep an eye on the parents if you divide the tank (ie make sure one isn't too agressive towards the other) if this is the case sometimes the male can be separated leaving only the female to brood.

These are somethings it might try. Otherwise it may just be fine to let them defend the eggs as is.

Hope this helps

let us know how they go

Cheers

Mark

ozarowana
Thu Jun 07, 2007, 01:47 AM
Congrats Matt

What type of geos did you buy them as?

Mattzilla
Thu Jun 07, 2007, 06:42 AM
thanks for the advice guys

they are aripuara.... or somethign like that anyway (kind of sounds like that)

hahaha

it's now about 24hrs since i saw them in the tank and the eggs all still appear to be there.... so i'll leave them as is for now.

fingers crossed they get to mouthbrooding stage soon. will the mum usually do the mouthbrooding or will they share the duties?

should i notice any changes to the eggs if they are fertile? non have gone white at all which is usually a good thing

thanks...i'll let you know how they go.
matt

ozarowana
Mon Jul 30, 2007, 01:31 AM
Just noticed that these fish appear to not be immediate brooders. I believe alti's are.