PDA

View Full Version : Earthworms??

parasite
Thu Oct 14, 2004, 11:52 AM
does anybody feed discus earthworms?? and what steps are taken to cleanse worms ??

sunshinediscus
Thu Oct 14, 2004, 09:03 PM
Yes. I wipe them clean is all before chopping. With the amount of w/c i do i don't bother too much about emptying gut contents before feeding.

Rod

Chris McMahon
Fri Oct 15, 2004, 04:00 AM
Do you grow your own Rod, or buy them? Are all earthworms the same, or do you recommend a specific type?

nag
Fri Oct 15, 2004, 10:22 AM
Hi:
Here's is the way to go about:
Get an empty, clean Jute sack used for storing food grains.
Soak it in water overnight. Drip dry till excess water drains off.

Wrap the earthworms in the bag and keep the bags moist for 2 days. The worms should not escape. This procedure purges the worms of all the waste in their guts.

After a couple of days... wash them under running water and drop them in a plastic bag.. Seal the bag and put it in the freezer. The lower temparature will make them almost immobile and easy to cut up. After an hour remove from freezer chop into 3-4 mm bits or smaller, put into a plastic bag, freeze for use as required.
Bye,

sunshinediscus
Fri Oct 15, 2004, 01:07 PM
Hi Chris, I buy those red wriggler worms from bunnings occasionally but all earthworms are equivelant nutritionally so any type would be fine as long as they are cut up into very small peices. For easy chopping i place the worms in the rounded corner of an ice cream container then chop therm up witha pair of scissors. Only takes seconds to do it.

Rod

Chris McMahon
Fri Oct 15, 2004, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the reply Rod. I actually bought a Reln worm farm a few months ago but haven't got around to buying the worms.

sunshinediscus
Fri Oct 15, 2004, 10:24 PM
I've been wanting to culture my own worms for a long time but never got around to it yet.

D.J
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 07:43 AM
Hi Rod, after stop feeding my discus with black worms, I am very interested in feeding them earth worms.
Are they as equal nutrition compare to black worms? is there any diseases associated with earth worms? and last question is why do we have to empty the gut contents?
I can get a container full of them from a local pet shop.
Thanks for any input.

Donald.

sunshinediscus
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 09:31 PM
Hi Donald,

My understanding is blackworms/tubifex/ earthworms are fairly closely related and very similar from a nutrition point of veiw. I guess the advantage of tubifex and blackworms is fish eat them whole so very easy to handle whereas earthworms generally have to be chopped. Prob the disadvantage with tubifex/blackworms is they are collected/cultured in fresh water so the chance of them carrying a disease is much higher than the earthworm.

Not sure why people empty the gut contents, prob something to do with the unprocessed worm food and fecel matter from the worm that the fish will spit out when they are eating them. But being a discus keeper with a high water turnover in the tank pretty much makes that a non issue. It will be cleaned out later that day.

Rod

Merrilyn
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 10:04 PM
Worms eat sand and dirt as they are feeding. They sift the vegetable matter and pass the sand. To remove the sand from the gut, place rinsed worms in damp newspaper for 24 hours and keep in a cool dark place. After 24 hours remove worms to a plastic container and freeze for 4-8 hours. Makes chopping easier and cleaner.

ozarowana
Mon Dec 03, 2007, 07:35 AM
Just resurrecting an old thread.

I run a composting bin and get a good feed of composting worms each week for all my fish (discus, geos and angels). It's free after initial setup costs too :D Just feed kitchen scraps.

I just feed the worms whole after wiping excess dirt off. A great food for south americans.

MalcolmC
Mon Dec 03, 2007, 07:53 AM
Hi all,
I'm interested why you have stopped feeding blackworms to your fish. I guess I have an interest in this as I grow all blackworms sold throughout Aus.They are grown in very clean conditions and fed only on trout pellets. They are purged before shipping out and provided you never feed worms that are starting to die, they should be excellent for your fish. Please don't believe all that rubbish you have read about them being grown in filthy conditions, because they just won't survive in that.