PDA

View Full Version : mucus production???

parasite
Thu Oct 14, 2004, 10:44 AM
hello, just wondering if more mucus/body slime is produced for fry when breeding pairs are kept in either acidic or alkaline water.

TIA.

wyldchyld01
Thu Oct 14, 2004, 12:01 PM
parasite,

don't know about more or less re alkalinity however if you have (or are getting) fry then this would occur pretty much 100% of the time in acidic water, if you try to then change it the adults will eat the fry (or they may just die).

so imo more mucus would be produced in acidic water as this is the environment the fish usually live in (and thrive/breed etc in)

cheers

Brenton

flukes
Thu Oct 14, 2004, 04:23 PM
The only thing i have heard of with problems in Alkalinic water is that the eggs dont stick too the cone securely.

Havent heard anything about slime coat.

nicholas76
Fri Oct 15, 2004, 08:59 AM
acidic or alkaline water really isnt an issue with slime coats.

Its more got to do with the food and water quality which are the major players in respect to discus producing a healthy slime coat for fry.

In relation to eggs sticking my fish are in very alkaline water and i have no problems at all.

discus IMO ( especially new pairs ) are best to spawn on smal cones. easier ( less ground to cover) to handle when eggs fall off etc

flukes
Fri Oct 15, 2004, 12:56 PM
easier ( less ground to cover) to handle when eggs fall off etc

Though you said you had no problems?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jking..

parasite
Mon Oct 25, 2004, 12:53 PM
thanks for ur replys