PDA

View Full Version : Mini cycles

faewyn
Thu Oct 14, 2004, 06:22 AM
Wont changing so much water on a tank of juvies cause the tank to mini cycle if not cycle constantly with this many water changes?
Because if we are going to do 30% W/C each day and for some freak reason we couldn't do a water change for a week, a tank with hardly any bacteria is gonna make the ammonia spike a hell of alot quicker then it would in a heavily established tank :shock:
Any ideas? heaps of bio balls? Ceramic rings? anyone use "Cycle" etc to keep the adding bacteria into the tank?

Merrilyn
Thu Oct 14, 2004, 07:19 AM
Hi Jess, your tank must be fully cycled with a good bacteria load before you add any discus. I'm sure you know about fishless cycling. This way you start with a good load of bacteria safely tucked away in your filter in either the ceramic rings or bio balls or whatever yhou choose. We tend to go for fairly big filters and lots of filtration for discus. Constant water changes will not bother your bio filter. I have uvs units on several of my tanks, and they kill all the free floating bacteria in the water. My bio filter still works efficiently even with daily 30% water changes, with never a trace of ammonia or nitrites.

faewyn
Thu Oct 14, 2004, 09:08 AM
Thanks Merrilyn, I was just worried about so many water changes as in my days I have sent a tank into a mini cycle from doing a few big W/C's in a week in the past.
The tank will be more the cycled before discus go in it, I think I might be in for a wait on what I want (still have to make my mind up aswell *sighs*)
I suppose with old sponge filters along with a great filter I should be ok.

flukes
Thu Oct 14, 2004, 04:28 PM
Ive changed close too 90%, serisouly the fish were on their sides. I didnt see any effect on the bio filtration. Although water stayed in the filter the whole time.

I would be more worried when cleaning the filter rather than water changes..

Trebs
Fri Oct 15, 2004, 03:01 AM
Was the PH the same on the water you added? if the PH rises you will get a mini cycle.

flukes
Fri Oct 15, 2004, 01:00 PM
Mate does a bear shit in the woods.?!?

Of course the ph was the same... :wink: Wouldnt have done a 90% water change if it wasnt..