PDA

View Full Version : Male wont let female near eggs.

chrissyoscar
Wed Oct 13, 2004, 10:20 PM
This is the first time I've noticed this. This pair have laid before and the female was the one who was mainly fanning the eggs but on this occassion it's the opposite.
I've noticed on the second day that the female is in a corner and when ever she approaches the eggs the male chases her away.
I might be wrong but I suspect it was the female that ate the last batch of eggs and as 1/3 of this lot has already been eaten I'm thinking the male has taken over and is now protecting them from the female. Could this be the case?
There doesn't seem to be any aggression between them as all he does is swim up to her give her a nudge and see swims back to her corner.

Oscar

sunshinediscus
Fri Oct 15, 2004, 10:21 PM
sounds like the female could be the culprit Oscar, the male is more than capable of raising the young by himself if you want tp try removing the female.

chrissyoscar
Sat Oct 16, 2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks.

I'm actually starting to think that I might have two females. The last batch of eggs was huge around 300eggs and as my female is quite small only 9-10cm I'm thinking the male might in fact be a female. He's much larger around 13-14cm. When they lay again I'll cover the eggs with a guard and hopefully I'll get some wrigglers. If there's no wrigglers then I'm not sure what to do. I'll probably add my male Turq and see what that does.

Thanks.. Oscar

sunshinediscus
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 07:08 AM
sounds like a good plan Oscar, discus don't allways make it easy for us to sex them.

Rod

chrissyoscar
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 12:53 PM
Hi Rod

Yeah they do make it hard especially for amateurs like me but for now I'm enjoying it even though my wife thinks I'm crazy :D .

Oscar