PDA

View Full Version : small fry

samir
Mon May 21, 2007, 06:03 AM
they are around 6cm now (i think) :? . All are more or less the same shape including the albino.

scott bowler
Mon May 21, 2007, 06:33 AM
they are great shape samir ,hey get a fifty cent peace and see the size mate hehe

Robdog
Mon May 21, 2007, 07:26 AM
What pair were these from samir??

samir
Mon May 21, 2007, 07:34 AM
brown X golden albino

Robdog
Mon May 21, 2007, 07:49 AM
I take it from your 1st post there is only 1 albino from the spawn and the rest are just browns if not a little golden brown

samir
Mon May 21, 2007, 07:55 AM
one good albino left, one has to be culled.
there were 50-50 albinos to start off with, the male kills the albinos.

discus lover01
Tue May 22, 2007, 09:59 PM
didnt u say that because u missed water changes you had a fair lot die samir because of this if i am mistaken i apologise but was sure there was a post saying something about it when you only had a few albino left from the spawn and there not browns and albino there just spelt different LOL

samir
Wed May 23, 2007, 05:36 AM
this spawn i saw him kill them. last spawn i did not, so the only assumption was they died because of dirty water. he doesn't eat the, just kills them one by one :?

Merrilyn
Wed May 23, 2007, 08:34 AM
Does the male actually seem to seek out the albino fry and kill them?

Never heard of that Samir. Maybe he thinks they look foreign, so he wants to get rid of them, or it's possible that he's just a bad parent.

You may need to think about fostering the albino fry onto other parents.

samir
Wed May 23, 2007, 08:58 AM
yes he hunts them down, doesn't eat them just leaves them dead at the bottom of the tank, he's a very good parent to the darker fry :?

last time they all suddenly died after a week so i thought it must be ammonia, and them being weaker, it got them. This time around, i saw him picking them off the cone and killing them. then he moved the darker ones to the back. :?

next time, I plan to remove all the black eggs. can't foster or they'll spawn again = pair hunting down and trying to kill all the other discus in the community tank. :x I think I'll go back to breeding reds :lol: this is a totally new saga.

samir
Wed May 23, 2007, 09:02 AM
oh and my leopard X snake pair kills albino fry too as soon as i move them but will foster dark fry even if there's quite a large size difference :?

Merrilyn
Wed May 23, 2007, 09:09 AM
This is a whole new area samir.

We're learning more and more as people get their albinos to breed.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

scuba123cliff
Wed May 23, 2007, 09:58 AM
This is the reason albinos are not common in nature ,even though these fish are far from wild and who knows how many generations removed, it must be etched in to there brains.Even though these fish could not survive in the wild they still know that to stand out from the crowd is not good for there young.Proving again Darwins law on the theory of evolution only the fittest and best developed for there situation will survive.I will get off my soapbox now thank you.
Cliff

samir
Wed May 23, 2007, 10:18 AM
Even though these fish could not survive in the wild

:roll: and how do you explain my wild caught albino red melons.

scuba123cliff
Wed May 23, 2007, 10:28 AM
Wild caught albino red melons???
wild caught ???

samir
Wed May 23, 2007, 10:31 AM
yeah wild caught :|
haven't you seen one before ???

scuba123cliff
Wed May 23, 2007, 10:41 AM
No and if im incorrect i stand corrected but have never seen them on on any of the listing for wild discus any way this is not ment to be an attack on any ones fish or persons just my thoughts on this act of your male killing the young
cliff

scott bowler
Wed May 23, 2007, 10:48 AM
hehe stop it samir you funny man lol

samir
Wed May 23, 2007, 10:52 AM
my guess is that its because they're a different colour. I'm pretty certain that they wont kill them if they're all albino, but you never know. Where is Andrew Soh ?????
and I'm not really serious about the wild red melon albinos :lol: :lol: :lol: