PDA

View Full Version : Lady Red

ivo
Thu May 17, 2007, 12:14 PM
In line with Merrilyn's birthday i thought i name the subject lady red...hope you don't mind Merrilyn :P This is one of the two rose red i got from Fish Rocks. I personally think it is just sensational. There is no photo work the discus has the most beautiful deep velvet red colour and my ideal shape. The red is developing onto it's head as well and i wonder how much red will it develop onto the head?

What do you guys think?

scott bowler
Thu May 17, 2007, 12:27 PM
good fish Ivo it has good shape great colour , the eye looks good ,looks healthy mate well done i like

ivo
Thu May 17, 2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks Scotty. I am definitely happy and lucky to have them.

fish_r
Thu May 17, 2007, 03:46 PM
thats one stunning looking fish, great shape great colour etc etc etc...

nicholas76
Fri May 18, 2007, 04:16 AM
STUNNING :shock:

fish rock have been showing us some might fine fish as of late!!

ivo
Fri May 18, 2007, 04:21 AM
thank you fish_r and nicholas. yes fish rocks have got some of the most stunning fish lately and i am sure there are a few very happy customers out there lately. i will take a picture of the other rose red later and post it here. it has one reasonable size red spot on it's chin very cute.

Ben
Fri May 18, 2007, 10:01 AM
almost a 10/10 from me!

DIY
Sat May 19, 2007, 01:50 AM
Stunning fish ivo, I'm jealous

The lotus is nice & healthy too

discus lover01
Sat May 19, 2007, 03:37 AM
nice fish ivo

samir
Sat May 19, 2007, 05:35 AM
looking good R, did you get a male and female ???

Merrilyn
Sat May 19, 2007, 05:58 AM
Ivo, that fish is sensational.

I loved her in the previous photos, now she's even more stunning.

Well bought.

(Wish I had been in Sydney, she'd be swimming in my tank now :P )

samir
Sat May 19, 2007, 07:54 AM
could one call these red diamonds ??? they are barless.
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12242&start=20&sid=874a75f43a25f09c8b6e363df483baf7

ivo
Sat May 19, 2007, 08:43 AM
Thank you Merrilyn and Samir. I am not sure about the sex yet i bought both of them so hopefully they are a male and female.

Merrilyn/Samir, how do i determine male or female for rose red? (i think Samir said before that male is not as red.)yes, i think they are barless i have not seen any.

Merrilyn
Sat May 19, 2007, 12:14 PM
I'm going to stick my neck out and say that fish is a female, simply by going on her shape. She has a very female type head and of course, the dorsal fin is very rounded. Ventral fins are short and wide and the caudal fin is narrow.

Having said all that, it will probably turn out to be a male :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

samir
Sat May 19, 2007, 01:42 PM
is this the one you picked up first or second??? I saw the second one and that looked pretty much female to me. :?

ivo
Sat May 19, 2007, 02:07 PM
samir, the one in the picture is the first one i picked which you didn't see. hehe i probably have two female then. it does not matter about the sex breeding is too much work. it is hard to tell the sex until they breed. one discus i have i thought it is a male for sure because of the pointy long dorsal fin but then she laid eggs. i let you know when it comes to the time they breed. how are your rose red doing?

samir
Sat May 19, 2007, 02:54 PM
yup its all guesswork until they spawn. mine are fine, they had spawned a couple of days after i got them but dunno which is which. treating them atm after which we''ll find out if its a pair :?

discus lover01
Sun May 20, 2007, 07:28 PM
It is all guess work and you just can not go by shape head size fin shape as everytime you do it it will be the opposite and there is no way with 100% being positive what sex they are until you see the breeding tubes i am sorry if this offends anyone and if anyone says they can sex discus before they spawn then they are not telling the story right.
Thats why if it was easy to do the sexing we would go to a shop and say ok i want that male and that female and the prices would be $20ea for any fish the fact that to get 1-2 pairs u need 8-10 fish on average but you can fluke 2 pairs from 6 fish.
Hope you have a male and female IVo they would be awesome fish to breed mate.
cheers brett

Merrilyn
Mon May 21, 2007, 01:48 AM
After 30 years of breeding discus Brett, I'll still say this one is a female, although discus have a wonderful way of making us all look like idiots :wink:

But heck, I've been wrong before, and I'll no doubt be wrong again, but this one still looks like a girl :lol:

Either way, I've got a 50% chance of being right :wink:

ivo
Mon May 21, 2007, 04:54 AM
I will let you all know the sex when it spawns. Although i am in favour of Merrilyn's judgement given her longstanding experience in the discus world.

samir
Mon May 21, 2007, 08:23 AM
definitely looks like a female but you never know :lol: :lol:
post a pic of the other one.

Robdog
Mon May 21, 2007, 12:42 PM
I think it's a female because discuslover thinks it's not. :P

discus lover01
Tue May 22, 2007, 09:56 PM
i to have had 30 years with discus and yes they do and can make us look like idiots when comes to sexing some we think are a female turn male even some i have been sold as 1 sex i have found them to be the opposite sex LOL it's all part of the discus world the joy of not knowing how to sex with 100% accuracy before they spawn.
As said before we can have educated guesses but thats all they are a guess i hope it turns out to be a female ivo and wasnt meaning to offend anyone in last post i sometimes can be as suttle as a sledge hammer and apologise for how last post may have come accross.
Again i hope merrilyn is right for you ivo but until it spawns we have to wait and see LOL goodluck with it and keep us posted and again sorry about lack of tact in last post to merrilyn and ivo wasnt meant to sound like it did.

k0b0i
Wed May 23, 2007, 10:33 AM
ivo take another photo! it's so dark it hurts my eyes to squint.. (i'm asian so not much room.. i squint hard enough my eyes are closed) ha ha

nice looking though :)

but yeah.. take another one with more light ;)

Fish Rock Aquariums
Wed May 23, 2007, 12:34 PM
ivo take another photo! it's so dark it hurts my eyes to squint.. (i'm asian so not much room.. i squint hard enough my eyes are closed) ha ha

nice looking though :)

but yeah.. take another one with more light ;)

just for yo Koiboi.

this should be one of ivo's ones, obviously before it graced his tanks.

(hope you dont mind me posting)

in all honesty, no photo will ever do these fish justice, only the owner and those who have seen them in between will truly admire these fish.

cheers,
Ron

scott bowler
Wed May 23, 2007, 12:36 PM
they look nice ron

k0b0i
Wed May 23, 2007, 02:48 PM
nice nice - thanks for that!

Merrilyn
Wed May 23, 2007, 03:10 PM
and again sorry about lack of tact in last post to merrilyn and ivo wasnt meant to sound like it did.

It's cool discus lover. No one takes the sexing of discus seriously. It's all a matter of guess work, but sometimes it's just fun to have a guess :wink:

ivo
Thu May 24, 2007, 12:36 PM
More pics of the reds. Sorry i don't know how to put multi pics in one post so i will do a few posts instead...bear with me!

ivo
Thu May 24, 2007, 12:44 PM
Second group picture.

ivo
Thu May 24, 2007, 12:47 PM
Individual picture of the second red i got. i love that little red spot on its chin so cute.

ivo
Thu May 24, 2007, 12:53 PM
Group shot! Thats it folks...(don't want to bore everyone with so many pictures)

ivo
Thu May 24, 2007, 01:17 PM
last one i promise....

Fish Rock Aquariums
Thu May 24, 2007, 02:17 PM
wahhhh....holy s#@t.....i stand corrected, lol photos can show the beauty of these fish, nicely captured ivo, that looks very close to the actual fishes colour.

thats a much better representation.

enjoy them.

cheers,
Ron

ivo
Thu May 24, 2007, 02:30 PM
Ron, i definitely am extremely happy with them among all other discus i got from Fish Rocks. Call me when there are other good one arrives!! Make sure you tell Eric that i look after his discus very well.

k0b0i
Fri May 25, 2007, 05:03 PM
:shock:

that's better mate - colour looks unreal!

nicholas76
Fri May 25, 2007, 10:28 PM
One problem Ivo!!

Those reds deserve a big tank of there own.

:P :D

ivo
Sat May 26, 2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks KOboi your reds look very nice too, very vibrant red.
Nicholas, if i buy another tank just for the reds....even bigger problem. My girlfriend will probably kill them all she already complains a lot of having two tanks in the living room.

discus lover01
Sun May 27, 2007, 12:24 AM
nice fish ivo well done mate

k0b0i
Mon May 28, 2007, 03:27 AM
How is that tank you got off me going for you anyways?

Going to good use i hope! he he

Anf
Mon Jun 04, 2007, 03:19 AM
Nice Red.:)

Boyam
Thu Dec 25, 2008, 04:01 AM
oi :shock: