PDA

View Full Version : too many discus?

roakes
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 05:45 PM
Okay, I have read the recommendation for one discus per approx 10 gallons of water, but I have twice that many discus! I have had these guys for a year now and have raised them from about 1.5" to between 2.5" and 4" (two of them are runts, with the others getting the lion share of the food!) They appear to be doing great. All feed very well: usually Tetra Color Tropical Granules for Discus, with some blood worms here and there. The tank is a well established 55-gal that also has a couple of anubias barteri. I experimented and learned with angels and several other species of fish for a couple of years before trying the discus. Temperature is 86 degrees F and pH varies very little (usually +/- 0.2), even with 50% water changes every other week. It may not be the ideal setup, but it seems to be working very well-the discus continue growing and the larger ones are really breathtaking!
I am interested in adding some cardinal tetras but I panic at the thought of introducing disease! I have no quaranteen tank. Obviously, I should first sell off some of the discus, but where to start? I am very fond of them after all of this time! Most important is the disease concern, which is why I have not added ANY fish after getting the discus. Any advice?
I will try to get a decent pic of the fish (easier said than done) and attach it later. Thanks for any help.

ILLUSN
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:43 PM
1 fish for 10 gal is for adult fish, as they get bigger you can start to sell them off, id sell off the runts first, keep up the filtration. i wouldn't put more fish in with your stocking level.

scott bowler
Tue May 01, 2007, 12:26 PM
yep

fiftycal
Tue May 01, 2007, 01:34 PM
I think you replied to the wrong topic scott ;)

martraci
Thu May 03, 2007, 05:50 AM
yep