Fri Apr 27, 2007, 10:59 AM
Your thoughts please...

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/Namn8r/DSC00501.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/Namn8r/IMG_0858.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/Namn8r/IMG_0851.jpg

nicholas76
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:01 AM
Now thats a great looking fish,

Great colour and pattern, eye is nice and red not dark brown.

Second picture shows that the fish has a bit of a beak problem but apart from that overall you have done nicely

scott bowler
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:08 AM
i agree with nic it is a very nice fish , the colour is very nice and the eye is red and that is good . it dose look like it have a little bit of a break. but my fish used to have it two , i think it is a health thing so with good food and water it will fix up. over all it is a very nice fish well done

Namn8r
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:10 AM
So what causes the beak look?

nicholas76
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 12:12 PM
ANdrew SOH's book explains it the best..

many factors

genetics, foods, overcrowded grow out tanks etc etc .

It wont really grow out of it but you can help hide it by fattening the guy up :)

samir
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 12:45 PM
its a nice fish. why is it a "King cobra" ?? i'd just call it a blue snake skin.

Namn8r
Sat Apr 28, 2007, 07:34 AM
Dont know samir, thats what it was titled when I bought it...?

scott bowler
Sat Apr 28, 2007, 07:39 AM
i was thinking the same thing , to me it is a blue snake skin too but you know how it is breeder and people will call them what ever thry like.not a bad fish though

nicholas76
Sat Apr 28, 2007, 07:48 AM
you got to love the names dont you.

for example how many variations of pigeons have you seen ? FOU, ribbons, checkerboard, etc etc etc all just pigeons to me.

It can give you a indication to what farm they came from and in some instances its simply a LFS with greater imagination.

e.g i know the FOU and anakondas came from a particular farm in Penang
My RGD came from singapore farm etc etc

I have heard of the king cobras before though , nice fishy

Namn8r
Sat Apr 28, 2007, 09:12 AM
Exactly..its just when a particular colour variety becomes more refined from breeding it needs a new name!

samir
Sat Apr 28, 2007, 10:02 AM
My RGD came from singapore farm etc etc

which farm and pictures of the fish in the photo album please :D

Exactly..its just when a particular colour variety becomes more refined from breeding it needs a new name!
i think its mostly people's wallets that are getting refined, one has to literally beg the importer for A grade fish and they're still a bit of a disappointment when they get here. People should stop buying names and look at the quality of the fish.

back to your fish, the depression near the eye will not go completely. otherwise its a nice blue snakeskin.

nicholas76
Sat Apr 28, 2007, 11:26 AM
ill post you a pm samir

look for my rgd fish in the pictures section mate

taksan
Sat Apr 28, 2007, 01:40 PM
King cobra?

ROTFLMAO !!!!!

Who makes up these names ?

I can't believe you guys fall for all that marketing BS by the Asian breeders who pollute these NATURALY beautiful fish with their mutant hybrid rubbish .

If they sell Marlboro Reds does that mean I can get Peter Stuyvesant Blues too?

How about a pack of Benson and Hedges Golden Filter Spotted Volcano Eruption Turks with a cherry on top? ...in extra mild only please

Leopards, Eruptions, Snakeskins ...whatever is in fashion this week.... they are just mutant markings bred into the fish by years of neglect.

That fish doesn't look any different to any other of the hundreds of so called "morphs" or "strains" or whatever the money grubbing sickos breeding these ugly mutants call them these days that have been bred from the original Blues and the Red turqs.

There are just THREE types of discus ......

Symphysodon discus

Symphysodon aequifasciatus

Symphysodon tarzoo

Thats it !

count them ...ONE ...TWO ....THREE

No more types then that ....if you look at your fish and you can't trace its looks to one of those three species you've got a mutant...end of story.

sorry to rant but really ...KING COBRA my ass !!!!
Its just going too far

Namn8r
Sat Apr 28, 2007, 02:01 PM
What you sayn Taksan? You dont like my discus? Ha ha ha..I think shes gorgeous

taksan
Sat Apr 28, 2007, 02:11 PM
What you sayn Taksan? You dont like my discus? Ha ha ha..I think shes gorgeous

I'm not specifically directing it at YOUR Discus mate.
Gorgeous she may be .....but King cobra? ....be serious.

Namn8r
Sat Apr 28, 2007, 02:54 PM
If I were a breeder....after years of hard work selective breeding Id want to put a name to my work how ever ridiculous. Fair enough these other clowns out there dont deserve to just whack different names on fish to market them...

samir
Sat Apr 28, 2007, 03:05 PM
If its a different strain I can understand but its a blue snake. my views are not as extreme as Taksan, but why is it a king cobra ? and not just a blue snakeskin. If you stretched it to 4 meters and added a couple of fangs then, yes maybe.

ivo
Sat Apr 28, 2007, 03:19 PM
Easy Tiger. Poor Namn8r is only using the name the aquarium sold him/her. However, i do agree sometimes they do create fancy name to make it seems like a new strain to make extra money, but then a lot of the aquaiums didn't make up those name but it was the name where they bought it from. For e.g. FOTU is just a marlboro and i am sure Xtreme didn't make up this name but it is what their supplier called. I heard some outrageous name here in HK but they are just checkboard pigeon!!! Speaking of discus in HK, we (Australia) have far better quality one than in HK, i guess discus is not big in here, everyone goes for saltwater fish and they are dead cheap here. HKD $1,000 for a large adult french angel fish....i was tempting to smuggle it into the country!! (just joking)

fiftycal
Sat Apr 28, 2007, 04:15 PM
If I ever breed a new(ish) strain of discus, im gonna give it a super long fancy name for the heck of it. Hell, even if I dont create a new strain, ill give any fish I breed a fancy name anyway.

Off the top of my head: Megaloblastic filamentous cyan awesomesauce infinite discus (A+++++++++++ grade). These of course will be red turqs

nicholas76
Sat Apr 28, 2007, 08:40 PM
If you stretched it to 4 meters and added a couple of fangs then, yes maybe.

LMAO your a crack up Samir.

Id just hate to think what you would call your own bred fish mate with that imagination...

ps. Namn8r that name King cobra name has been around for ages and its not your LFS playing games. Do a google search and you will find it

Namn8r
Sun Apr 29, 2007, 01:04 AM
LMAFO, yes hold on fiftycal let me go get a weak skinny mung bean late while i ponder the new name of the strain im to develop...

Reillin
Mon May 07, 2007, 07:36 AM
I doubt if it is a true strain anyway. Try and bred her/him, you'll end up with mish-mash.

Don't forget, hybridising between the three species Taksan mentioned will only cause the rate of fertility to drop dramatically to almost nil around F3-F4 (TFH Dec 06).

I guess buy the discus if you like it, but don't pay the extra money for a hybrid under a special name.

Cheers,
Vien.

discus lover01
Sat May 19, 2007, 03:51 AM
So what causes the beak look?

The beak look is part of hexamite thats the main cause of it a treatment course of beefheart withh metro mixed in and also worm and fluke treatment wont hurt and just make sure you have good clean water and lots of decent food or before long you will find holes in her head and they are so hard to fix once they have opened up.