PDA

View Full Version : How many Angels?

Angelfishie
Tue Apr 17, 2007, 04:00 PM
I just set up a new tank with live plants and I want to have angels! My tank is pretty small, only 29 gallons, but it is a high tank. How many angels do you recommend.......not just for the size of the tank, but also to keep the picking at each other to a minimum? Is it better just to get a pair or three or four? Also, what are good tankmates for angels? Would cardinal tetras be a possibility?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience!

Erk
Fri Apr 20, 2007, 05:03 PM
I say 3 angelfish would be fine in a tank that size :wink: , and I would go with some cardinal tetras and some sort of algae....maybe some ottos, but Im no expert, and hopefully someone will have other ideas!

Good Luck! :D

Flip03
Tue Apr 24, 2007, 12:37 PM
I have 3 angels in a 300 litre tank 2 are male and 1 female this is proving to be a bad combo as all 3 are always fighting. Im also no expert but my advice is dont mix male annd females together if your going to keep multiple angels. i hopes this helps alittle :)

Angelfishie
Tue Apr 24, 2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks so much for your reply! I can't always count on the expertise at my LFS, so can you help me out on how to determine between male and female angels? What characteristics should I look for in each to figure out what sex they are? Thanks!

Flip03
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:37 PM
This is a really hard question to answer. As angels get older it gets much more obvious as to the sex but when buying from your lfs I think this is nearly impossible due to the age and size of them. When your angels get around 12 months old you will notice a significant size difference, the male being much larger than the female. You will also notice a little pointy thing infront of the rear bottom fin. On the female this will point slightly backwards towords the tail and on the male this will point slightly forwards. This is for laying and fertilizing. Im not an expert with these fish but this is what i have noticed with my breeding pair. Hope this helps.

Flip03
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:39 PM
This is a really hard question to answer. As angels get older it gets much more obvious as to the sex but when buying from your lfs I think this is nearly impossible due to the age and size of them. When your angels get around 12 months old you will notice a significant size difference, the male being much larger than the female. You will also notice a little pointy thing infront of the rear bottom fin. On the female this will point slightly backwards towords the tail and on the male this will point slightly forwards. This is for laying and fertilizing. Im not an expert with these fish but this is what i have noticed with my breeding pair. Hope this helps.

Angelfishie
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:52 PM
Thank, Flip, for your reply. I guess when my new tank is ready, I'll just get three angels and hope for the best since they will be babies, I won't be able to determine their sex. If three is going to be my total, do you suggest getting all three at the same time? I think that's the best way to do it rather than get one at a time. What other tankmates do you have with your angels?

Anybody else have any suggestions on total number, sex, tankmates?!!!!