PDA

View Full Version : DIY Fire Extinguisher CO2 system

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 13, 2007, 11:53 PM
After a few questions and pm's i thought it was time i put up sopme pics of my DIY fire extinguisher CO2 system. Before i start i'd like to thank Bad Inferno and Al for all their help and advice on getting mine up and running. you can all find examples of their work here

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=857

mine is the same magain just with step by step pictures :D
First thing you need to do is get a fire extinguisher, I got a 3x QUELL 3.5kg off ebay for $100. next remove the hose and bell housing a 250mm shifter works well here, just a warning they are on TIGHT!!!

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 12:03 AM
Next step is to get a few adapters to make the reg fit! thanks again to bad inferno the only place I found to have them was swagelok (you'll have to google to find your nearest supplier) I needed 1 1/4" male to 1/4"male nipple and 1 1/4" female to 1/2" male reducing bush to make mine fit.

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 12:08 AM
to assemble all the parts together you'll need ALOT of teflon thread sealing tape (bunnings bout $1 in the plumbing section). wrap all the threads in it and don't be stingy, the tighter the fit the better.

scuba123cliff
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 12:15 AM
Here are some pics of my co2 unit i got the gauge to fit straight on the fire extingisher it has been going for about six months and is workin g fine.

cliff

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 12:16 AM
fit the assembly to the extinguisher again use the shifter makes sure it's tight. then your ready to fit the reg.

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 12:33 AM
regs attach to the manifold in 2 way6s. the first is the style that tunze, azoo, Milwalkee and aqumedic use which sits flat against the manifold and usually they supply a sealing ring (nylon washer). the second is of the type that JBL use this sits within thw 13mm housing of the manifold. to use this style of reg you'll need to bore out the 1/2"male side of the bush to 13mm. i'd suggest using a lathe but if your carefull a 13mm drill bit and a drill press will do.

once ready screw your reg hard against the 1/2" male bush.

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 12:45 AM
Heres the complete unit all you need to do now is attach your CO2 tubing (I use JBL cause it's 1/4 the price of dulpa) hook up a bubble counter ( the milwalkee has one built in so I don't leed one on this rig) and attach to the reactor (you can also bubble it directly into a canister filter). Use soapy water and check for leaks, any leaks remove leaking part add more tape and try again.

To keep the handel of the extinguisher depreessed i use a couple of cable ties, it's neat enogh and works very well.

Hope this helps answer a few questions on CO2 set ups.
Jothy (ILLUSN)

Tommo
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 02:05 AM
Thanks for posting this ILLUSN, it makes more sense now, that i can see some of the pics.
cheers Andrew

Bald_noggin
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 07:23 AM
Well done ILLUSN. Nice write up for the DIYers out there. :D

fish_r
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 08:09 AM
good write up.
where do u get ur extinguishers filled though ?

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 10:58 AM
theres a place near my work on victoria road that does service and refils, mine will need to be checked so when they run empty I'll take them down

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 11:03 AM
scuba123cliff
nice set up mate Al uses a cylider with no adapters as well do you mind posting pics of the cylinder labeling to others can try and get them same type, would save ALOT of messing around with tape :D

scuba123cliff
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 12:24 PM
Ok here we go the exinguisher is a B.F.I. Bulbeck Fire Industries on the handle/valve is the numbersME 3.40 thenME4,00. The regulator/solinoid is a azoo brand not sure of model A bit of plumbers tape screw them together pull pin, squeeze handle replace pin, plug in power and bobs your uncle a quick tweek to get the flow right. This has been going for about six months no dramas heres some pics to help.

Cliff

scuba123cliff
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 12:28 PM
some more pics

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 12:40 PM
:shock: VERY TIDY!!!! :shock:
will keep an eye out for one of those the next time i need a cylinder. Thanks mate well done.