PDA

View Full Version : Ballasts.

flukes
Mon Oct 04, 2004, 05:32 PM
Although this is related too my reef tank, there are a few brains here i would like too pick.

First of let me get this straight a reflector and a ballast the same thing??

Ok now i want to light my reef tank, i ve worked out i will need 5-6 floro tubes, instead of buying 3 double reflectors or ballasts. I was wondering if they sold them so i could have 6 in 1??

If not is there any electricians around that could make me one??

P.S - I knowi could just use MH's but its not practical for this tank.

chrissyoscar
Mon Oct 04, 2004, 07:26 PM
Ok I think I can help.
A reflector is the unit that holds the fluro's and a ballast is what actually converts the power from 240 to what ever power the fluro is eg-38watts.
My father in law is an electrician and he told me that even though you are using a 38watt tube the ballast itself uses around 100watts to run.
Also each ballast runs one tube so in a twin reflector you have two ballasts to run two tubes therefor 200watts of power being used even though the tubes only add up to 76watts confusing I know.
If I were you I would think about MH it'll save you money and you'll get a better light.
In short a ballast is basically a converter. If you are familiar with down-lights then you'll know that they also have ballasts. Same thing with fluro's.

Hope this helps. Oscar

mtchye
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 01:36 AM
Ballasts also come in two basic flavours, electronic, and magnetic, which are the most common types you'll find.

You can get both electronic and magnetic ballasts in dual lamp configurations. In fact I believe with the electronic ones some will do up to four lamps.

You can wire up these ballasts to any type of fluoro tube, including compact fluoros. Heres one I prepared earlier :p

http://www.perthcichlid.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1312&highlight=diy+compact+fluoro

flukes
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 02:15 AM
I think i just worked out, flukes + Electricity = fried discus or ME!!!!

It could be possible too a line 6 flouro's though, although i am not the man for the job, ill find him :wink:

As i said MH's are just not practical for the tank, also i have resources that say your better off with flouro's. This is their opinion, although i probably would prefer MH's its just not practtical with this tank. There isnt the room and i dont want too be hacking up the house too make supports for it.

flukes
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 02:48 AM
Ok well since iam not going too make one, where can i find one of these -
http://www.ahsupply.com/96watt1.jpg

2 x 96 watt Bright Kit
$114.99

Includes one 24 ounce solid-state electronic ballast (18.5"L x 1.7"W x 1"H); one 34.5"L x 7"W x 2"H multi-angle MIRO 4 polished aluminum reflector; two moisture-resistant endcaps with cords; four steel bulb holders; one grounding power cord: wirenuts and screws needed for installation; snap bushing, cord strain relief bushing, cord clamps and nylon spacers; and ballast operation information and wiring diagram. Requires two 96watt compact fluorescent bulbs (not included). NOTE - If you want to be able to control the bulbs separately you'll need two 1x96w kits #40961 instead of this 2x96w kit #40962. Also NOTE - You may substitute two 34.5"L x 4"W reflectors for the one 34"L x 7"W reflector that normally comes with this 2x96w kit. Just request the substitution in the Special Instructions section at the end of the order form.

Although this is an American site if i can find this reflector, 2x96watt that would be more than enough light for what i need it for, also this would fit over a 3ft tank. Exactly what i want it for and giving the tank an average of 5wpg.

Anyone know where i could find these in oz??

mtchye
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 02:52 AM
I've tried to find similar styles of AHsupply lights in Oz but have been unsuccessful. In particular there isn't really a reflector made to suit. You can get a 2x55w electronic ballast and 2x 55w compact fluros here but you'll have to wire it up yourself or get an electrician to do it, as well as construct a suitable reflector.

flukes
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 02:58 AM
Hrmm i ll have to check out how much posting will be, because 2x55watt is a big difference ill need 2 of them.

mtchye
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 03:40 AM
Problem is flukes that those AHsupply lights run on 110V.. so you cant run them here. Perhaps you can ask them if they can source a 240V one for you...

Best bang for your buck... MH from a lighting store.. I can get a 150W one with ballast and slim reflector for around $130.. including daylight globe... Just look for your local lighting wholesaler and call around...

wyldchyld01
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 07:55 AM
flukes and others fyi,

as mentioned above, the ballasts, end caps and wiring (similar to jon's diag) are all kept in a metal box (also commonly called the ballast, don't ask), as you would be using mains power (either lead or to mains direct) you can run three ballasts interconnected...

confused? sorry what i am taking the long way around to say is, you can taked all the internal stuff out (have an electrician, or knowledgable friend) connect them all together (really easy, should be cheap) and mount it all in your own reflector/hood.

Cheers

Brenton

flukes
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 04:45 PM
Ok iam quiet aware of how much easier and cheaper MH's will be too light this tank, but as i have said and will say again it is not practical for this tank. There is no maybe it just cant be done. These are for my personal reasons, mainly because i will find it hard too mount them without messing with the house. There are other reasons but thats not the point, the main thing is i cant so compact flouros are the only other option.

The tank is a 36'x14'x18' = 147litres or 39gals. With the sump it will probably be another 15 gals.

Therefore Iam looking at about 190watts. Because its a 3ft tank if i use normal flouro's which bulbs come in 36watt, i would need 3 double reflectors which will probably just fit for width. 6x36watts = 216 watts.
But then i would have too move a reflector too access the thank which i dont really want too do.

So in Australia what is available and what is the best way too go about it?

I am not that confident building lighting fixtures so id rather buy it or have someone else put on together for me.

Anyone have any experiece buying Compact flouros in oz?? or know where abouts i could find information about it?

Cheers boys you been a great help.

Ferdie.

Escher
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 12:05 AM
Bunnings sells packages of 2 single 36w for around $30.

Al
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 12:45 AM
Flukes I found i link that might be of help http://www.reefandriver.com.au/powercompacts.htm

They are based in Geelong.

HTH

flukes
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 01:37 AM
Thanks mate, great help.

flukes
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 01:02 AM
Ok contacted reefandriver.com.au,

Hello,
I am setting up my first reef tank, with metal halides not being an option i was thinking more power compacts. I was just wondering if you have double reflectors in 36' ??
Iam hopefully looking at getting 190watts, i was just wondering what wattage the 36' bulbs are so i can work out how many i need.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Scott

This was the reply from bruce, who was very helpful might i add...

Scott,
The 36" are available in doubles.
THey house 4 * 36 watt tubes for a total of 144 watts. This is at a cost of $232 + tubes ( around the $100 - 110 mark dependant on choice)
Keep in mind that the tubes are mounted around 1 inch from the water surface instead of the usual 12 inches with halides.

To obtain the 190 watts that you are looking for, you would need to add an extra single reflector, to increase the power output by another 72w
for a total of 216 w.

single 3 footers are $153 + tubes

On selecting halides for a three foot tank my normal suggestion would be to use a 150 watt unit.
A double pwr compact comes awful close to this rating, but the extra ooomph would never go astray.

Hope this helps.
Bruce.

So i am looking at a bitunder $400 for the reflectors, then about another $250-300 for tubes...

chrissyoscar
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 07:41 AM
:shock:
So that's about $700 complete and then you'll have to spend $250-300 on tubes every year.
Expensive but I suppose if that's what you need and you're keen on a salt water setup then what other choice have you got.

flukes
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 07:50 AM
Buying MH's would be cheaper but as i said it just wont be possible for this tank. If i could i would, it will be cheaper to buy and cheaper in the long run.

Ahh well maybe ill keep looking..

chrissyoscar
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 08:07 AM
Is the only reason you don't want to use MH because you don't want to mount them on the walls or ceiling.
If so have a look at this thread from Boronias DIY site
http://p088.ezboard.com/fboroniaaquariuminteractivepagesfrm14.showMessage? topicID=101.topic

I know you don't want MH but this might be a solution you haven't thought of.

Oscar

flukes
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 08:18 AM
Its not just the mounting i dont have the 12inches too work with about the tank..

chrissyoscar
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 08:25 AM
Ok no more talk about MH then.

Oscar

viper224
Thu Oct 14, 2004, 12:10 AM
Flukes, have a look at this link:

http://www.aquaria.com.au/catalog/index.php/cPath/6_21/sort/1a/page/2

The Catalina units might be the one for you. I have bought from this company heaps and am happy.

I wish this'd been available when I custom built my hood - 4x36W fluoros + 2x55W CF - the CFs and associated equipment were available from a lighting store but it wasn't easy to find all the bits I needed.

flukes
Thu Oct 14, 2004, 01:31 AM
Thanks mate, ive actually been thinking about moving the tank and using MH's. Just because its alot easier and cheaper.

Still have alot of research too do..