PDA

View Full Version : wigglers

sonflowerjoela
Sun Apr 08, 2007, 06:50 PM
Hi Everyone, My pair laid eggs Wednesday, a lot of the eggs turned white. Some of them remained clear and are now wigglers on the slate. My question is, so many of the eggs were white that it made this fuzz stuff grow and I can see wigglers in this fuzz, (This is a mature pair that I bought already paired up and they raise their on fry.)will the parents get them out of this fuzz eventually or when they become free swimming will they swim out? I saw one of the wigglers fall off of slate and to bottom of tank. Don't know where it is now. Any suggestions on what to do? Also seeing as how they sometimes move the babies around, I'm afraid to do a water change because I don't know where babies are, how do you'all handle this? Thanks, Joela

DiscusMad
Mon Apr 09, 2007, 03:52 AM
If you can't see the babies they may have been eaten by mum and dad. the white eggs are unfertlised eggs. Some people use a few drops of proxide to stop fungus growth on the eggs uasly mum and dad eat these eggs.

good luck with the next batch!

sonflowerjoela
Mon Apr 09, 2007, 02:49 PM
Thank you for the response,but there are wigglers in the white fuzz wiggling, should I try and get them out or leave it alone? I'm not sure if the parents are use to me yet. I've only had them a month. Thanks, Joela

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 10, 2007, 05:13 AM
Just leave things alone. The parents will look after the wrigglers that are in the fuzz, so don't worry. I've had over a hundred fry appear from what seemed to be just a fuzzy mess.

Unfortunately the one that has fallen to the bottom has probably died, so try not to disturb the tank at least until the wrigglers are free swimming.

Once they are free swimming, and well away from the breeding site, you can begin small daily water changes. Now's the time to begin hatching your live brine shrimp. Your wrigglers will be looking food a few days after free swimming. Live brine shrimp is the best first food for them, or frozen baby brine shrimp, if you can't possibly manage to hatch your own.

Feed them baby brine shrimp 4 or 5 times a day for at least a week, then you can add some very fine dry food to the diet as well.

sonflowerjoela
Tue Apr 10, 2007, 04:56 PM
Thank you Merrilyn! :D
Also stopped this afternoon and got some 2.50 reading glasses and there are for sure wigglers in the fuzz and some on slate. I count 5 maybe more hidden some where. thanks for all your help and I will keep you guys posted, thanks, Joela