PDA

View Full Version : new snakeskin in QT

mousley
Sat Apr 07, 2007, 06:21 PM
I have a new snakeskin in my quarantine tank and it has been there for about 3-4 day's now. When I purchashed the discus it was a little dark but I felt like I could bring it around and it had a good shape, etc.
When I brought him home he hid out for a few day's and did quite a bit of tail standing and some staring at the back of the tank also. The color has lightened up with a lot of water changes but I feel the color is faded and also kind of splotchy...nothing is vibrant/all is more pale or washed out. The discus has stopped the tail stand but still is awfully shy and will only eat some bloodworms but eats slow and reluctantly. The tail is a little frazzled and seems to have a touch of fin rot also the color is little rosy around the eye. Any help? Thanks?

mousley
Fri Apr 13, 2007, 05:12 PM
The discus is looking healthier and is more active. It is also eating much more and accepting a variety of foods. The discus is still a bit thin and basically a pale orange color, the fish is still not showing any pattern or markings/colorations of a snakeskin. What would cause a discus to become so pale and lose it's coloration and can I expect it to return soon. Thanks.

sammigold
Fri Apr 13, 2007, 11:49 PM
Hi there Mousley,

I cannot explain loss of colour, (maybe something has caused the discus to lose its slime coating making it look like it is paler?)

The fact that it is eating is an excellent sign. I would continue to keep an eye on it and just provide regular water changes and good variety of foods and I am sure that you will notice improvement as you have over the last few days.

you may also want to try putting in some rock salt at a rate of 1 teaspoon per 40 litres. this will help your discus relax and can promote slime coat growth. It may also help prevent tail rot taking hold.

It can take a while to fatten a discus up so be patient and I am sure you will be rewarded in the end.

As to patterning etc...if the discus is a juvenile it may just be a matter of maturity as snakeskins tend to take longer to "colour" up....

cheers and good luck with your little buddy.
sammi