PDA

View Full Version : Hatchets and Bettas?

Crazedpuffer
Sat Apr 07, 2007, 11:59 AM
Hi guys. Can hatchetfish and betta's be kept with discus? Thanks.

DiscusEden
Sat Apr 07, 2007, 12:27 PM
I think I've ready yes, before, though you'd want to keep a lid on, 'cos the hatchetfish apparently jump.

Crazedpuffer
Sat Apr 07, 2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah I've got a nice lid with almost no room for the Hatchet to get out. The Discus won't fight with the betta either? Thanks

DiscusEden
Sat Apr 07, 2007, 12:38 PM
I've read somewhere no, they get on, though it might vary between individuals.

I probably read it in this section somewhere, it might be worth having a look through some of the previous posts, if you haven't already.

Crazedpuffer
Sat Apr 07, 2007, 02:30 PM
Yeah I checked the other posts before and I didn't see it but I found a post that said they can. I guess I'll take a chance.
Thanks

DiscusEden
Sat Apr 07, 2007, 02:51 PM
Good luck, and let us know.

From what I can gather the question is about whether the betta gets feisty, but they're too small mouthed to do much more than be an incessant pest. But again, I could be wrong. I guess it's a matter of dropping them in & watching. And telling us!

Crazedpuffer
Sun Apr 08, 2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks I will. Right now I have just the discus in the tank and in about a week or so I'll add the betta and stuff. Thanks again :D

DiscusEden
Sun Apr 08, 2007, 11:30 AM
No worries, always feel free to ask. What discus did you get? Pics?

martraci
Sun Apr 08, 2007, 12:54 PM
my discus chase the fighter and hes kicked some ass in the past (soul survivor of a betta masacre) so there should be no probs

SandyLynne
Sun Apr 08, 2007, 10:09 PM
I originally had six hatchets with my discus but unfortunately have lost them all. One committed suicide through the corner triangle cut out of the glass and the others slowly died one by one. Maybe it was the higher degrees?

Crazedpuffer
Mon Apr 09, 2007, 12:02 PM
No worries, always feel free to ask. What discus did you get? Pics?

There still little so it's hard to tell. One of them is a red turquoise. Another looks like it might be a white dragon or somethign like that. The other 2 are redish orange with little brown speckles.

DiscusEden
Mon Apr 09, 2007, 01:28 PM
Nice!

Pics?

No pressure, but pics pics pics pics!!!!!!

Please?

Crazedpuffer
Mon Apr 09, 2007, 02:05 PM
I'll upload some pics later :)

DiscusEden
Mon Apr 09, 2007, 02:25 PM
Yay! Thankyou!

Robdog
Wed Apr 11, 2007, 03:13 AM
Yeah I've got a nice lid with almost no room for the Hatchet to get out.

If there is room to get out then the Hatchets will find it. They will be fine with the discus and should be sweet with the discus temps. Too long at 30 degrees might wear them out a bit so drop it down to 27-28 and everyone will be happy.

The betta shouldn't be a prob either.

Crazedpuffer
Fri Apr 13, 2007, 08:02 PM
I just added my betta about an hour ago and he flipped. He's up in the corner not doing too good. Whenever a discus goes near him he swims away in a frenzy. Hopefully he'll calm down and be okay.

I'll add pics sometime soon right now my pics won't upload.

DiscusEden
Sat Apr 14, 2007, 12:33 PM
Give him a bit of time. Was it a big change in temperature for him?

helenuk
Sun Apr 15, 2007, 04:06 PM
Oh dear don't sound to good i hope it works out for you :wink:

DiscusEden
Mon Apr 16, 2007, 01:49 AM
How's he going now?

Greggy
Fri Jun 01, 2007, 02:11 AM
Bettas generally do just fine in Discus tanks. At first they'll hide in dark corners, but after several days he'll be right up there with the Discus at feeding times. The Discus might be curious about him for a few days, maybe peck him once or twice, but after a while they should live in perfect harmony.

Regards,

Greggy