PDA

View Full Version : Vecton UV Sterilizer

africandiscus
Mon Oct 04, 2004, 12:36 AM
I was forced to return the Hozelock UV Sterilizer. The unit was to big for my cabnit. The unit I have my eye on the moment is the Vecton 25w UV Sterilizer.

http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquariumproducts/vecton.asp

A mate of mine is in the UK at the moment and has offered to bring one back for me. The power supply is the same as here (220v) and the bulbs are the generic philps brand. It is going to cost me about $180. Does anyone know anything regarding this unit?

Proteus
Mon Oct 04, 2004, 03:15 AM
They use different plugs...

plus it is not approved for AU use, so if it goes POOF or causes anything else to fault, you have no insurance or comeback.

Hint - Forget looking at overseas sites, they are as good as useless for us, especially for electrical equipment.

BTW, we are 240v not 220v

africandiscus
Mon Oct 04, 2004, 03:55 AM
I wish it was that simple. I cannot find a 25w uv sterilizer in Australia for under $500. I would like to stay away from the products made in China, who have custom bulbs.

I lived in the UK for a short while and all the products I bought there, I brought back with me all work great(dvd player, tivo, ect.). Just replace the UK plug with an OZ plug.

I dont really care about insurance and comeback. It would cost me less than half, so if a unit broke I would buy another and still have change.

If anyone has recommendations on a generic bulb sterilizer available in Australia please help

Thanks

Chris McMahon
Mon Oct 04, 2004, 07:47 AM
Seen these (http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category51_1.htm)?

Proteus
Mon Oct 04, 2004, 08:28 AM
I find it hard to understand how the Hozelock could be too big, most UV's are the same size when you go above 11w, why??? because they have to fit the same bulb in them.

The other thing that would be a problem getting a unit from Overseas, different bulbs, and different ampage.

Trust me, after researching UV bulbs from US manufacturers, we cant get some of the bulbs here, so replacing the bulb may be a problem.

weird
Mon Oct 04, 2004, 08:47 AM
okey I need a dunse explanation, UV kills both good and bad bacteria right ?, so where do you position the UV filter, as I am tempted to get one.

Proteus
Mon Oct 04, 2004, 01:09 PM
No...

It kills the baddies, in an established tank it wont affect the good bacteria, however if you uv protect a new tank it takes a lot longer to cycle.

flukes
Mon Oct 04, 2004, 04:26 PM
The good bacteria is in your filter, it should stay put. Although there must be some good bacteria that passes through the UV and dies i dont think it would be nearly enough and i dont think it would effect your biological filtration.

Escher
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 03:34 AM
25W sound like a lot to me! How big or how many tanks do you need to service?
As far as I understand it the UVS should be placed last (after the filter).

Merrilyn
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 10:29 AM
UVS are great. I have them on 3 tanks now. They are placed on the outlet hose of a cannister or sump filter. All the good bacteria are safely housed in your filter and do not come into contact with the UV light. However the free floating bacteria and pathogens that cause problems are zapped by the UV as they flow past the light. Another side benefit is CLEAN water. I mean crystal clear. My tanks have never looked better.

weird
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 10:49 AM
OK, I am convinced ... going to get me one ! or 2 ! I would have been sold early if I new that it kills aglae. Of the ones shown on http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category51_1.htm

, what would you recommend for a 4x2x2 foot tank (less than 400 litres water).

Chris McMahon
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 12:54 PM
I'd go for the 8w maybe even the 15w.

flukes
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 04:51 PM
Even try the hazelock systems, also we have also been very lucky too have a new friend Peter that deals with R.O units but also sells UV's aswell. All aquadot members get a special price, might be worth checking it out.

The site is www.psifilters.com.au but there is a special Aquadot page with our special prices. You'll have to wait for Ro to post that one or try finding it in the post he put up about it.

africandiscus
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 10:21 PM
You need to buy a uv to suite a flow rate not the size of the tank. All uv's are rated by gallons per hour.

Proteus
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 10:43 PM
http://www.psifilters.com.au/aquadotnetwork.htm

you can always have your UV running seperate to your filter, just have the correct rated powerhead pumping water through the UV and back into the tank, that is the most effective way to do it.

Chris McMahon
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 04:32 AM
All uv's are rated by gallons per hour.Not the Pro Aqua ones. They're rated for "upto X litres total capacity", which is pretty optomistic, eg 6w is good for tanks "upto" 1890 litres!

africandiscus
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 04:56 AM
That is scary. Let me rephrase it. A serious uv sterilizer is rated by the flow rate.

Proteus
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 01:23 PM
Actually if you want to get serious there is a mathematical equation you can use and it is a combination of flow rate and tank/pond size...

I will look around for the scale graph and post in the next day or so.

weird
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 02:11 PM
Another aussie site has info on the Aqua Pros, however annoying how they don't directly match

http://www.aquariumsrus.com.au/ozone/sterilrmain.htm

Fluval Output: 1300L/h

I should be considering the Aqua Pro UV Sterliser 15 watt.

xen
Mon Oct 25, 2004, 08:03 AM
I've had an Aqua Pro on my tank for a few months now, and I've been very happy with it.

I got a 15W unit for my 4x18x18 tank. Overkill, sure, but better than underpowering it from what I hear. I figure more power won't kill bacteria any deader :-) I run it for an hour, out of every twelve.

I would definitely agree with the clarity - I was shocked at how clean my water looked after I'd had it running only an hour.

There is a school of thought that claims that long-term they'll leave your discus with a weakened immune response. The theory is that they get used to not having to deal with 'bad bacteria' properly, so they'll get sick when they encounter something nasty.

I'm very unconvinced. The most knowledgeable fishkeepers I know disagree with it also. I just thought I'd pass on a dissenting opinion :-)

Cheers!
John

weird
Mon Oct 25, 2004, 09:05 AM
Interesting cause I am thinking about getting one. I have not read the instructions of one, but you don't leave it on 24/7 ?

xen
Mon Oct 25, 2004, 09:10 AM
Heya Dave,

I've read that 1-2 hours / day is sufficient a lot of the time. It'll also make your UV bulbs last longer.

Does anyone leave their UV on 24/7? Any problems?

Cheers!
John

Proteus
Mon Oct 25, 2004, 07:13 PM
To recieve the maximum benefits of UV protection it should be left on 24/7.

Yes, leaving it on for an hour or so will help clear the water up, but it wont do anything to kill Protazoa and other nasty bacteria in the water.

jim
Tue Oct 26, 2004, 02:36 AM
I have my 11w unit on 24/7. The guy from Auburn LFS tell me that, if you switch on and off too often. It will shorten it's bulb's life...

And.....don't even bother to clean inside...I tried...and all most beark it..and after I opened it. Inside the tube is as clean as new (nothing can servive around UV bulb)...wasted all my effort..

pyro
Thu Oct 28, 2004, 12:07 PM
I currently run mine 24/7 and hsvehad no trouble with eitehr of my two tanks running them. They are both the pro aqua ones and am more than happy with them. I know George at Slippery Little Suckers is currently stocking some of these.

xen
Thu Oct 28, 2004, 12:10 PM
Heya guys,

Thanks for the advice. I've switched mine over to running 24/7 as well. I'll let you know how I get on ;-)

Cheers!
John