PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian red fry

Noddy65
Sat Mar 31, 2007, 12:07 PM
Hi everyone
Heres a pic of my P. taeniatus Nigerian red fry. Its only a small spawn but is ok for a first go I think. The fry have been free swimming for 2 days now.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/Noddy65/nigredfry.jpg

Mike

Th0mas
Sat Mar 31, 2007, 02:29 PM
Any updates on your other fishies??

Grae
Sat Mar 31, 2007, 10:51 PM
Mike

I hate you!!!! :twisted:
seriuosly now (yes that was a joke) would you like to try my Pelvicachromis subocellatus ( yellow cheeked kribensis)

As you know they are in a planted tank and look great but would need to be spoiled like all your fishes are to get them over the next hurdle.

Let me know :fluff

Oh sorry i was meant to say well done with the Nigerians too.
wouldnt expect anything else with you :roll: :roll:

Graeme

Merrilyn
Sun Apr 01, 2007, 01:51 PM
That's great news Mike. Congratulations.

Got any pics of the parents in spawning colours?

Noddy65
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 03:38 AM
Hi Thomas
Well my Apistos have been very quiet for months now. Ive recently had a spate of spawning though after we finally had some rain in Perth after a very dry summer.
Unfortunately not one fry has hatched. All the eggs have either been eaten or fungused up after a few days. Have had spawns from the agassizi tefes and baenschi. the melgars have also spawned after getting some males but the eggs went the same way.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Ph in the tanks is around 6.5, very soft (ie wont register on my kh and gh tests), feeding a variety of foods. Live BBS daily, NLS, flake etc etc.

Hi Merrilyn, no pics yet of spawning. My camera is a really crappy point and shoot. :D The females have really nice colours, I think a bit nicer than the males.

Mike

Rod
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 04:16 AM
Hi Mike....

From what you've said my first thought was the water is too hard???

You say the water is so soft it doesn't register on the kh and gh test??

Are you sure your test kit is ok and are you reading it correctly???

With mine the water changes colour from Blue to yellow and the number of drops indicate the hardness....from what you are saying the water must turn yellow after one drop???

Regards....Rod

Noddy65
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 04:21 AM
Yep...thats correct.
I use Ro water for all my apisto tanks and it turns yellow after one drop and blue after one drop depending on if Im testing KH or GH.
Last year I had fry coming out of my ears but I was breeding nijsseni, panduros and double red agassizi, this year so far....nothing... :(

Mike

Rod
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 07:00 AM
I assume you mix some tap water with the RO water?

I've been told RO water is too pure....???

Rod

Noddy65
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 08:03 AM
Yep...I usually mix about 10% tap water with the RO water...I also add South American Cichlid trace to most of the tanks as well.

Mike

fishgeek
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 08:32 AM
change your regime, ie neglect them for longer than you usually do
move them from their tanks to others

do a hugh water change with different water
stop feeding so well

anything just different
what you have sounds ideal

i often find my fish when new spawn staright awya into my setup and then stop, i think the change helps

andrew

Rod
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 08:46 AM
Have you used this same water for the taeniatus??
Sounds like you are doing all the right things!
Seems a water problem....because it seems fish are still spawning but eggs aren't hatching....perhaps fishgeek's idea to make a bigger than normal water change might be a start??

Noddy65
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks guys
Ill experiment with one of the pairs of baenschi.
Might go and do a big water change now...

Mike

Th0mas
Tue Apr 03, 2007, 01:05 PM
Am doing the same myself.

My elizabethae pair (new female) have spawned three times without any successful hatch. I've left the tank without water change for a week now (keeping an eye for trouble as well) and wait.....

Robdog
Wed Apr 04, 2007, 03:48 AM
Ill experiment with one of the pairs of baenschi.

Could it be that the baenschi are the new cacatuoides??? :lol: Once upon a time if you were ever going mess with an apisto tank and try something a little out of the ordinary you would do it to the cockatoo tank because you knew they were replaceable if things went pear shaped. :lol:

Noddy65
Wed Apr 04, 2007, 03:51 AM
Oh dear I hope not...its just that I have more pairs of baenschi than any of the others.

Mike

Th0mas
Wed Apr 04, 2007, 04:10 AM
Mike,

The baenschi are quite hardy - don't worry.

But male is a bit hard to come by - even in my group of juveniles.

Thomas.

TW
Mon Apr 09, 2007, 01:17 PM
Congratulation on the P. taeniatus Nigerian red fry. If your little ones grow up & you ever have a female to spare, I'd be a happy purchaser - but I wonder where you are (I'm Sydney)

Robdog
Wed Apr 11, 2007, 03:07 AM
Mike is in W.A and is an exotic dancer.

Noddy65
Wed Apr 11, 2007, 04:42 AM
Well...Im in WA anyway..
The other pair have free swimming fry now.

Mike