PDA

View Full Version : Checkerboard Cichlids ?

Midnight Pearl
Sat Mar 31, 2007, 06:46 AM
Does anyone know which shop in Sydney sells " checkerboard cichlids " , i've bought the last Pair from B & C Aquarium last Wednesday & also went to SLS but they were closed on WED. Cheers.

Th0mas
Sat Mar 31, 2007, 12:04 PM
The LFS in Bronte Rd at Bondi Junction (name not mention as non-sponsor) brings them in as well - but not regular. Best to call before dropping in.

Robdog
Sun Apr 01, 2007, 01:35 AM
Hey Thomas, do you mean Aquapets. Is it Aquapets? Is Aquapets the one you are not mentioning the name of? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The ones at B&C are the better ones I reckon. I got my pairs from there and had a few dummy spawns out of them. Although some of the female ones at Aquapets do have the red ventral fins which is usually a sign that they are dominant females and have spawned in the past.

They are beautiful fish. If you condition them well and give them really soft water they should spawn for you

Namn8r
Sun Apr 01, 2007, 01:51 AM
They are tough lil dwarves too, dispite there tiny size they will attack fish many many times bigger during spawning!

Th0mas
Sun Apr 01, 2007, 03:03 AM
Hey Thomas, do you mean Aquapets. Is it Aquapets? Is Aquapets the one you are not mentioning the name of? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes Rob. Just trying to follow the rule to avoid moderation :D

Midnight Pearl
Sun Apr 01, 2007, 05:08 AM
Thanks all for responding so quickly , was thinking of going there last Thursday afternoon as i was in Randwick at the time but instead ended up going the opposite way ???? I've rang them today but unfortunately their sold out .New stocks in a Month time. I guest i'll keep searching or unless something will pop up. The Pair that i've got their not aggresive at the momment , i kept them with cardinals & rummie noses shall i start worrying ??...Cheers all.

Th0mas
Sun Apr 01, 2007, 08:22 AM
Shouldn't be any worry with the tetras. Even if they decided to spawn, they should be able to keep the tetra out (and not killing them).

Just make sure the water pH is a bit lower than usual (pH 5.6 - 6) as the checkerboard love low pH (not sure about the rummie nose, but cardinal should handle the low pH without any issue).

Midnight Pearl
Mon Apr 02, 2007, 03:12 AM
Thanks Thomas , i'll keep searching & try to get a few more pairs.Cheers.

Rod
Mon Apr 02, 2007, 05:49 AM
I think it can be confusing to Aquarists....particularly New ones to state that Apisto's and fish from similar habitats....ie Checkerboard cichlids like a low ph

They come from rain forests streams where their habitat is rainwater filtered through decaying vegetation and has a low ph....more importantly the water is very soft will low levels of dissolved solids.....ie low TDS.

In my experience it is more important to concentrate on providing very soft water....not so much for spawning but for successful fertilisation of eggs and subsequent hatching of those eggs. this is done by mixing rainwater or RO water with tap water....I use about 50/50

If you target ph and add chemicals to lower it you can end up with a low ph but high TDS......you may get the fish to spawn but you will have trouble hatching the eggs.

This water is also ideal for most South American tetras

Th0mas
Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:28 PM
Rob,

Spot on there, I should have mention soft water as well.