PDA

View Full Version : HELP SICK RAM

Namn8r
Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:15 AM
Ive seen it happen before but it hasnt happened for about 2yrs. My young male Ram is breathing rapidly and gone off his food. I believe this is usually followed by pop eye. Could this be a sign of hex? Any ideas or anyone with meds that can fix? Have done a large water change nd treated with paracide and myaxin but no effect.

fishgeek
Thu Mar 29, 2007, 10:39 AM
hex would not normally affect respiratory rate

signs you are seeing are not particuarly specific , i would first look at nitrite etc readings and water issue's
your water change will at least have diluted some things , it equally may have changed your pH

best to check and see if any abnorms then do the change, allows you to have some confidence in a probable cause, know that slower water changes may be indicated with pH sweings or know that further investigation is required

is the ram hanging near the surface?

andrew

Namn8r
Thu Mar 29, 2007, 12:07 PM
Its just sitting around and not swimming or foraging ike normal. Thing is isnt water parameters as there are 4 other rams in the same tank with no dramas! Any other ideas?

fishgeek
Thu Mar 29, 2007, 03:05 PM
for anorexia or not eating look at

ammonia
pH
external or internal parasites - usually you will see flicking with external parasites, feacal sample is indicated to diagnosis whther gastrointestinal parasites
bacterial infection
sore mouth - obviosuly watch how the fish eats
foreign body more common in goldfish,catfish and eartheating cichlids, what size substrate
cancerous growth
and i guess in the ram that strange viral cndition that is blamed for so many deaths

for increased respiratory rate

gill parasites and increased mucous production inhibiting oxygen transfer
low levels of oxygen in water
anaemia and poor carrigae of oxygen

equaly so the fish could just be being bullied

for the oxygen side a slight reduction in water temperature and increased aeration are indicated if you see increased operculae movement. like panting
then gill scrpaes and or biopsy should be performed
at least look at the colour of the gills with increased mucous there maybe a dulling of the red colouration
anaemia gills will look pale
ammonia you get methaemaglobin or chocolate blood so brown gill

hope that hel[ps some
though there are som many options it makes it hard

andrew

Namn8r
Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:08 AM
Ok we can rule out just about all of the above...

His breathing seems to have slightly slowed, and has started to swim around a little bit more but still not himself. Still not feeding at feeding time.

All other occupants (discus, plecos, rams and neons) all fine, water parameters are all fine, no scratching, no hollow sunken belly, nothing visbiby wrong.

Even his colour is fine, still bright not dark and fins still outspread and not clamped.

Hopefully he is just sulking and he will get over it!

Thanks for all your help guys...